2004 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 5.7l Hemi Headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab w/ 8ft. bed and is a 4x4. It has a 5.7l Hemi. The exhaust was cut at the y pipe to make true dual exhaust. I now want to put headers on it. I am going with the ceramic coated long tube headers. Do I need more than a good set of gaskets and bolts for the heads or do I need more?

What is a good set of headers? Pacesetters, BBK, Heddmam, Edelbrock?

I know I need o2 extensions. Metal gaskets?

From the trans. mount back is 3" exhaust. From the trans. mount to the engine is stock. Gotta keep to Cats. So I need to flare them to match the 3" of the headers.

Any suggestions?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Your best bet is going to be the Pacesetter Longtube headers. These are a great bang for buck setup that are going to show very nice gains. They come with bungs already welded into the collectors for your front o2 sensors, but you will have to weld bungs after the cats for the rear sensors. Otherwise, you will need the o2 extensions like you said and I would grab a set of Mopar gaskets as well. The paper gaskets that come with the headers will not last long.

We have the headers in stock in our PA warehouse, so that means overnight shipping for you. Check out the link below for more info...

Pacesetter Painted Longtubes 03-08 2WD/4WD 5.7L Hemi

And here is a link to the Mopar gaskets...You should be able to find these at your local dealership as well.

Mopar Exhaust Manifold Gaskets 03-08 5.7L Hemi Ram

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey Matt, thanks for the info.

I want to have the ceramic coating added. Will that make the item number change from 70-2211 to 72c2211? The 72c2211 is the ceramic coated number I'm finding everywhere for my truck. Also I understand the coating is an extra $130. (Not a problem.)

When I get Uncle Sam to give me my yearly check (here shortly) I'll order the headers and metal gaskets from your website. (I'll use the links you provided.)

Do you know where I can get stage 8 locker header bolts?

Thank you for your time.

-John

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
You are correct. The part # for the coated is 72c2211. We just listed the painted with the drop box option for the coating so that we didnt have 2 listings for the headers...helps clean up the site a little bit.

I'm actually talking to a new supplier for Stage 8 bolts, so let me see what I can come up with in the next couple days.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks again Matt.

I'll be waiting to hear from you about the bolts then.

jamie1177

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Keep a welder on hand when removing the studs. I installed the Pacesetter long tubes and had a few break on removal. Since the heads are aluminum just hold a nut up to it and fill with welder and tap with a hammer a few times to help break it loose.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got my Pacesetter Longtube headers from Matt yesterday. Awesome job Matt!

I found a set of BBK Performance 12" O2 Wire Harness Extensions. I didn't see any other lengths. Will the 12" be long enough?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
I cant remember what size extensions I used. If the 12" look too short, then Caspers Electronics sells them all the way up to 36" long.

OP
OP
427invader

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I got the headers on yesterday finally. They look great. They changed the tone to a little more deep and throaty:), but the volume isn't much louder.(unless I get into the 4K-6K rpm range):(

I ran into two little hitches:

1)I should have order 4 12" o2 sensor extensions instead of 2. I ended up having to move the cats further back the truck and another set of 12" would have done the job. All I did for now is cut the o2 sensor wires(not the trucks harness wires) and splice a section in and heat shrink it until the sensors need replaced, then I'll get another set of extensions.

2)I heard a rattling in the passenger header. I got out a bowl and tipped the header over. Over a dozen small beads came out of the egr tube. I'm guessing they are finishing beads. I contacted the manufacturer (Pace Setter) and am waiting for a reply.

Again Matt, Thank You for all the time and information you supplied and the great service! I look forward to doing business with you again!

-John :favorites13:

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Yeah they tent to have some beeds left over in them for some reason. Tend to just use some shop air and blow them out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn