4.7 throttle body cleaning questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I see everywhere people mostly listing postings or videos of cleaning their throttle body of either hemi's or the 4th gen 4.7 motor. I was curious with the 3rd gen 4.7 motor throttle body what is the best method to clean the TB? I know take it out to clean, but is brake cleaner the best? Just spray it all inside and scrub with brush? What do I want to not hit with cleaner. Any help I appreciate!

Hot Ducer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep it away from anything electronic, I think brake cleaner is a bit more harsh than TB cleaner, but I assume it'd be ok as long as you aren't all "***** nilly" with it.

2003 1500 QuadCab 5.7 4x4

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've read online most people saying has brake cleaner cause TB cleaner apparently isn't good, no clue why it be bad if they made the cleaner for that specific part.

Then saw mopar sells a cleaner, read someone used it and great results. Then read some more and people say don't use it.

So I'm a bit confused on what to use and would like to do this since the truck will be sitting while I wait for my ECM to come in.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used supertech brake cleaner from Wal-Mart. Can't go wrong for $1.97. Sprayed it on there, and literally all the gunk fell right off. No scrubbing involved. Just avoid the electronics and you're good. Let it dry fully before you reinstall it too.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh it will be dried lol, it'll be out of truck for couple days lol

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, watched videos and once again every video I see doesn't help me.

This is what my throttle body looks like (yes it's dirty), I understand I have 3 bolts to take out but how do I handle the linkage and all on the left (looking straight at it left, passenger side)

image_zpsmuaitihs.jpg

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats dirty? LOL. Should have taken a picture of mine.

I imagine since TB cleaner is made for that purpose it is technically the preferred solution, I have used brake cleaner my entire life for TB and carbs. I usually get it for free at work.

I have never damaged a throttle body or IAC or TPS with brake cleaner. The plastic has never melted, it has always worked better after I cleaned than before. There are people that will argue to the grave you should use throttle body cleaner. If I could get it for free I would. There is one that will argue you need Mopar throttle body cleaner and nothing else will do, only satan uses brake cleaner on a throttle body.

Takes all kinds. Make sure you let us know how the project turns out-

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol I honestly thought it be worse since I never cleaned it and it has 130k on her! I'm just going use brake cleaner on it and let it sit a few days to fully dry. Truck is sitting anyway till I get the ECM in anyway so why not. I will report back with the outcome, I need to get some extensions for my wrench so project continues tomorrow.

Next spark plugs!

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Last question, should I replace the TB gasket?

JAMMAN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I always do. I consider all gaskets perished upon taking bolts off. Others might argue, that's fine as long as I have the money I will replace gaskets.

OP
OP
E

EWC88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is true. Hopefully my advance auto parts carry them.