AGM or regular battery?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can get an optima red top for $135 w/ free shipping, or a duracell agm from sams club for about $130 today.

Whereas I can spend $100 for a regular battery.

What do y'all think?

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can get an optima red top for $135 w/ free shipping, or a duracell agm from sams club for about $130 today.

What do y'all think?

Who manufactures the Duracell AGM? That is probably the best. The optima is not that great anymore.

OP
OP
usaf2006

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read on a review on sams club that east penn makes them. IIRC that's a good brand.

I also heard that about optimas.

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360

What do y'all think?
I bought the Duracell from Sam's, while I had the vehicle it was a good battery, unfortunatelyi didn't have it long enough to give a full review, but i can't imagine Duracell would put their name on a piece of crap either.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

OP
OP
usaf2006

usaf2006

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got home with the duracell. Does what it's supposed to. It has top and side posts, which will make adding stuff down the road easier. Only time will tell! Does seem to start better.

One thing, it's a tad skinnier than my old one, so the hold down thing at the base doesn't quite reach. Had to put some cardboard in there to tighten it up until I can figure something else out. Lol

Ram Lover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L 360
Just got home with the duracell. Does what it's supposed to. It has top and side posts, which will make adding stuff down the road easier. Only time will tell! Does seem to start better.

One thing, it's a tad skinnier than my old one, so the hold down thing at the base doesn't quite reach. Had to put some cardboard in there to tighten it up until I can figure something else out. Lol
Nice, hope it works out good for you.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most of the bad reputation optimas have now comes from people buying the wrong one for what they're trying to do and then bad mouthing the battery. People buy the red tops and try to run audio equipment/lights/winches etc and kill them because the red tops are not made for that. Red tops are START only batteries. 99% of the time the yellow top is what needs to be used but I guess people like the color red more than yellow so they buy the red top. Lol

I had an optima blue top in a previous vehicle and it was a tank. But either of the batteries you have listed will work. Just not a red top. If you get an optima you will need a yellow or a blue top. The blue tops are essentially yellow tops, with additional lugs for add on equipment.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I've had the red top optima for over 6 years in this truck and it was in my old truck for a year before I got rid of it. Still turns strong and no problems. I had a system in my old truck and it worked fine.

TheRudeDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who manufactures the Duracell AGM? That is probably the best. The optima is not that great anymore.

If I'm not mistaken the Duracell is identical to the DieHard (same maker).

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've had the red top optima for over 6 years in this truck and it was in my old truck for a year before I got rid of it. Still turns strong and no problems. I had a system in my old truck and it worked fine.

Some people have no issues with using a red top and some do. It depends on the electrical demand of each vehicle. That's not their intended purpose, but sometimes they still do fine. What I was getting across is that the optimas are perfectly fine batteries and the bad talk usually comes from trying to use the wrong one for a specific purpose.

I once read a thread where some guy was straight ******* the **** out of optimas, because he had two red tops and was trying to run some 5kw audio system off of them. And they wouldn't do it. You could put 6 red tops in there and they still wouldn't work for that, they are designed for putting out a high amperage, but short duration supply. Not sustained loads like with an audio system. Some people tried to explain that to him and told him that he needed yellow tops and he would be fine. But he didn't wanna hear it lol

jljbtm

Reaction score
If your getting a regular battery i here walmarts are made by johnson controls just like the other brands and ade cheaper

Sent from my Samsung Note 4

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990