Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, my truck hasn't moved in hmm...3 months or so? Went to start it, and as I figured, it's dead. Jumped it, and it took a few minutes for it to kick over. So, I let it run for about 30-45 min, and drove it around the block a few times, then let it sit idol for another like 10-15 mins. Turned it off...and it wouldn't start again. The battery is pretty much brand new, got it at the end of the summer.

Off hand, I wanna say it's 650 cca...but not 100% sure with out looking at it again. Wondering if I should just pull the battery, and leave it hooked to a charger in my house, or if I should look into getting a more heavy duty battery?

So, what kinda battery are you guys running?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I have a walmart battery. Dunno the CCA. Does it turn over slow or is it just not firing??

OP
OP
The Assassin

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just not firing. Like I said...the thing hadn't moved in months...maybe I need to drive it around the block more to the it charge up?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
If the battery is good, driving it around for an hour or so should have fully charged the battery. It more than likely has a dead cell. Where did you get the battery from? It should still be under the free replacement period of the warranty so you shouldn't have any problem getting it replaced.

I'm running an Optima Red Top

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If its cranking like normal and not firing it doesn't sound like the battery to me. But double check your grounds on the Battery. I have seen cars not fire because the ground wasn't on there very good.

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to put it on a charger over night. I'll bet that thing was frozen like a rock from all the 20 degree nights we've had. If I leave my batteries in my boat over the winter, I have to replace them in the spring.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
hmmm interesting. Learn something New Everyday.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
If you get your hands on a digital tester it will let you know if theres a dead cell or not, im with George thinking its just frozen.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use a optima yellow top. But you prob can get a new replacement for free.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
I am running a 27 series Duralast Gold...supposedly it is the only 27 series Autozone offers...it is 750 Cold Cranking Amps and 930 Cranking Amps...3 year full replacement warranty with an 8 year pro rated warranty...just bought it like 2 weeks ago, it was $94 with exchange...

Mine did the exact same thing your is doing, when Autozone tested it at first (on the truck) they said I had bad alternator diodes, so I replace the alternator...then the truck went all weird. If I jumped it, it would crank over fine...then after I turned it off I would have to jump it again. Took the battery out and had it bench tested...turns out it was only good for 10.25 volts...and the computer said the battery was dead...

Remember an alternator does not charge a battery, it simply maintains the battery while driving. If your battery is shot, then it will only hurt the alternator in the long run while it tries to maintain the battery.

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Assassin

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to put it on a charger over night. I'll bet that thing was frozen like a rock from all the 20 degree nights we've had. If I leave my batteries in my boat over the winter, I have to replace them in the spring.

That's what I'm thinking too.

Wait................you have a boat?!?!?!? I want a boat ):

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We invited you out on it in August and you were too busy....

boattruck7-4.jpg

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
baywatch38.jpg

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did ya? Hmmm, I'm old now wait..whats your name again ?...wanna have a *******/geritol gtg?

We already had a *******/geritol gtg. Remember the young waitress that wanted a ride in your truck?