Catalytic Converter.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my magnaflow y pipe. Gonna put on a new cat while I'm getting exhaust done. My truck is an 05 2500. Looking to just add a universal magnaflow converter, but some of them were listing vehicle weight as a spec... Is that something I need to consider when purchasing?
Also, has anyone used the new magnaflow "spun" converters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Ive had very bad luck with the magnaflow convertors. The exhaust shop i used to work at carried them as the "cheaper fix" for customers that couldnt afford a new factory cat or an aftermarket direct fit. I had cars coming back 4-6 months later with the light on for cat issues. every time i removed it to replace with something better, the magnaflow was always plugged up, the materials had broken down or the guts were just gone. If your light isnt on for a cat, i would save your money and leave the original in there

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you NEED converters? The stockers are a hindrance, Maggies are lesser quality...a piece of pipe happens to fit and flows better...:signs6:

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well... My truck doesn't have to get emissions tests... I could technically do without... But I don't want a check engine light and won't it run like crap!?

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Youll lose some of the low end power, the exhaust will also get rather loud as well. You can fake the computer into thinking the cats are still there by spacing the downstream oxygen sensors

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmmm... Very tempting. Will a tune eventually eliminate the need to even continue to run an 02?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No cats here with a check engine light on for some time now. Truck keeps truckin tho its annoying seeing that cel

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No cats here with a check engine light on for some time now. Truck keeps truckin tho its annoying seeing that cel

What muffler(s) are you running? Do you think it would even be worth it/beneficial to keep the exhaust I have now with the addition of the y and no cat? Or do I need to get a higher flowing muffler?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just one si/so magnaflow. The y will help you as that's a real choke point in the exhaust. I may of missed it but what muffler you have? That won't be a big deal

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a flowmaster something or rather. Single in/dual out. The typical truck exhaust.

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wondering if I need to upgrade my muffler.

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Youll lose some of the low end power, the exhaust will also get rather loud as well. You can fake the computer into thinking the cats are still there by spacing the downstream oxygen sensors

How many cats are there? I figured there was one off each header bank (precats if you will) then one after the y pipe. Looks to me like there's 2 before the y? I'm confused as where to put the oxygen sensors.

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2 cats 4 o2 sensors 2 before 2 after the cat

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have basically the same setup as ST-8 headers ORY and no cats. I have hiflow mags in my garage but haven't had them installed. Besides our emission check the smell is why I'm putting them back. It is strong and overwhelming when stoppedwith the windows down. I haven't noticed a big loss in low end and I drive around with my cutout open most of the time.

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have basically the same setup as ST-8 headers ORY and no cats. I have hiflow mags in my garage but haven't had them installed. Besides our emission check the smell is why I'm putting them back. It is strong and overwhelming when stoppedwith the windows down. I haven't noticed a big loss in low end and I drive around with my cutout open most of the time.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll just leave the cats for now and delete the muffler? I want better sound! Is it gonna be too loud with a muffler you think?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Before I did my exhaust I had the stock exhaust with a muffler delete an boy that truck droned like hell!

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before I did my exhaust I had the stock exhaust with a muffler delete an boy that truck droned like hell!

Well, **** haha. Looking to get louder, while probably maintaining the cats! Any other options?

ATXHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Cutout before the muffler. Loud all the time can suck. Loud with a headache is painful. Open cutout when you want loud. Close it when you don't. Best of both worlds.

OP
OP
Bscanlon64

Bscanlon64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Cutout before the muffler. Loud all the time can suck. Loud with a headache is painful. Open cutout when you want loud. Close it when you don't. Best of both worlds.

Aren't electronic cut outs like $400+?

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's what you wanna do. Trust me you'll get annoyed of that loud ass **** from time to time

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007