Exhaust help (2003 5.7 1500 QCSB)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nbditsjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2003 1500 with the 5.7 hemi in it. I'm just wondering what is a good exhaust that will not cause me to lose low end speed? I'm hearing that HEMI's run off of back pressure so I was just wondering if anyone had a set up that they are using on their truck that they like? I'd like to stay away from any exhaust coming straight out the rear. I know that dual exhaust may not be good for the whole backpressure thing but if I could find a good dual side exit or single side exit exhaust that'd be great. Thanks guys.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Are you wanting just a cat back system or a full exhaust with headers back?

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2003 1500 with the 5.7 hemi in it. I'm just wondering what is a good exhaust that will not cause me to lose low end speed? I'm hearing that HEMI's run off of back pressure so I was just wondering if anyone had a set up that they are using on their truck that they like? I'd like to stay away from any exhaust coming straight out the rear. I know that dual exhaust may not be good for the whole backpressure thing but if I could find a good dual side exit or single side exit exhaust that'd be great. Thanks guys.

Whatever you end up going with, the one thing you should make sure you do if you are really looking for performance gains is go with lt headers. Don't waste time on shorties, and the stock manifolds are clearly not made for performance.

OP
OP
nbditsjd

nbditsjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I guess I'm just looking for a cat-back that will not reduce back-pressure too much. It's not that I want huge performance gains I just don't want low end losses in performance.

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I guess I'm just looking for a cat-back that will not reduce back-pressure too much. It's not that I want huge performance gains I just don't want low end losses in performance.

No cat back is going to reduce back pressure to much. Most of the major restrictions come before the muffler.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As in catalytic converters and factory y pipe haha XD

OP
OP
nbditsjd

nbditsjd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sweet thanks guys! I think I'm going to go with the MBRP installer series dual side exit. I know that it's not stainless but I really don't like any of my stainless options and really don't care right now if it's gonna last a while. I know it sounds foolish but I can almost guarantee that I will have the money when the time comes. I may even just start a little fund for when that day occurs.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
The 03 having the single cat configuration with the 04+ having dual cats you need to understand what fits when looking at the different kits. IMO, the 03 cat being designed to support the 5.7 engine is a very good cat that flows excellent and IMO cannot be upgraded with the exception of using two of them in a dual configuration. So without going to headers (LT recommended) upgrade the "Y" pipe and go with any straight through performance muffler design. In my experience FlowMaster cost both performance and mileage and I recommend something like a Magaflow in whatever size that suits you. I have run several combinations and finally settled on Pacesetter LT's, ORY pipe, dual Magnaflow spun cats and 36" si/do Magnaflow straight through muffler with pipes dumped at the rear. There are endless combo's you can put together, but what I have is pretty much the standard that a lot of folks end up with. Good luck..