Fuel Additive for Cummings engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devsol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6 cylinder
Fuel additive.

Folks I am new to this forum and to diesel trucks. We just purchased a Ram Truck with a Cummins engine to pull our horse trailer. The issue is that it sits at the barn and is driven maybe once a week and not far. I'm thinking that I should be using a fuel additive to the diesel. Is that true? Would it keep the system cleaner if I added something and what should I add. Thanks for your comments. I looked up fuel additive on the forum search engine but got nothing back. Thanks loads.

Designflaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 CC Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran Lucas treatment every 2-3 tanks once sulfur dropped off, lubricity dropped off

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
OP
D

Devsol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6 cylinder
Thank you!

OP
OP
D

Devsol

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6 cylinder
I don't know what you mean when you say that they're finicky with additives. Does that mean that I shouldn't use them or what?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I was a truck driver for a decade strictly Cummins in our trucks, and owned a Cummins back a few years in 2002. I forgot what I used but it was very important when they messed with the diesel to get some lubricity back. I used to buy 2 different products by the case. No offense to this place, but you really should ask this question over on TDR it is the Cummins diesel registry and those guys are freaks when it comes to everything Cummins.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
there have been alot of tests done on the additives to replace the lubricity of the fuel. best bang for the buck is tcw3 2 stroke oil. great for older diesels, but i wouldnt run it through a common rail motor. diesel kleen is readily available at most parts stores and works good. if you can find opti-lube, that works better. lucas doesnt do anything for the lubricity from the tests ive read.

Dekman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
2 Stroke TCW3 is fine on a common rail just not fine on a DPF equipped common rail. There are lots of us that run it on our 03-07 5.9 works great . My neighbour who is a heavy duty mechanic runs it on his deleted 6.7.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
We use the lubricity formula at our garage but this one sounds even better!

Performance Formula - Stanadyne

http://www.stanadyne.com/docs/puba/Which Stanadyne Additive is Right For YOU!.pdf

Basicly anyone whose truck does not say " use ultra low sulpher diesel fuel only" will benefit from stanadyne and even then. Around here in the outlying reigons fuel quality is at times questionable, all the more reason for a treatment!

To OP: how far do you go with your truck when you use it? Does it have time to get up to operating temperature?