Hesitation at 1400RPM under light load around 55mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F22-Raptor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
My 2008 4.7L has this hesitation under light load. It is usually around 1400RPM or a bit lower and mostly at about 55mph. There is one spot in particular on my way home from work where I can reproduce it on demand, it's just a short stretch and it's hard to use to diagnose but it happens rather often in other places under the right circumstances. It's almost like the engine does not want to rev up and the needle is stuck at that particular RPM. There are no set or pending codes. Slight throttle changes don't help, however if I easy off the gas or really step on the gas it seems to recover.
When it happens, the truck shakes and it feels like it's chasing the gears but without any change in RPM.

Any thought on what could cause this?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've had bad EGR valves give that symptom before with no fault codes (if your truck has one) try unplugging the EGR and driving it.
Your check engine light will come on with it unplugged. If the symptom is gone with it unplugged replace it with a OE EGR

OP
OP
F

F22-Raptor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
I've had bad EGR valves give that symptom before with no fault codes (if your truck has one) try unplugging the EGR and driving it.
Your check engine light will come on with it unplugged. If the symptom is gone with it unplugged replace it with a OE EGR

Thank, Yoda. I wouldn't have linked the EGR valve to this issue in a million years. I'll try it as soon as I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue_Smoke13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Sounds like an air issue to me. Along with EGR, I'd check air filter and MAF sensor.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your truck doesn't have a MAF sensor