Loss of powwer and Missfireing at speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnBailey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this post. I have a 2003 with a 4.7 that when I drive for as few min the eng is fine and after a few min when I accelerate to over 2000 rpm the eng will start missing (bucks and goes crazy). It will then do this as I try to accelerate and eventually got to he point as I lose speed and can not drive it. Once this pattern starts it will do it in Neutral so I am assuming not transmission.
Steps I have taken:
Replaced Plugs
Replaced Coils
Replaced Ideal air control value
Cleaned Throttle body
by passed catalytic converter (was told it was clogged)

One possible clue as I did the above steps the eng started idling much higher 1500-2000 rpm. I am going to check fuel pressure and replace the fuel filter this weekend any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

rhoadsrocker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7l
I had that issue with my 5.7l for a while. Turns out it was a $20 crankshaft position sensor. Super easy to replace. Takes about 5-10 minutes. Its was missfiring and lagging so bad because my truck wasnt firing in-sync with eachother. Give that one a try.

OP
OP
J

JohnBailey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the info. I had the sensor tested it was ok the problem turned out to be fuel pump so I am having it replaced. dropping the fuel tank is a little too Manly for me :)

Turns out when I put a fuel pressure gage on it, it dropped to zero when put under load. and at idle it was at 45/ish when is should be at 60 with eng running.