Need to replace a camshaft position sensor on my 4.7??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott81425

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OK everyone was so helpful with my spark plug change and seafoam advice, now I'm tackling the camshaft position sensor. As long as I've had the truck it will throw this code when its cold out. Cleaned the ground and connectors up, still throw the cold from time to time, usually at least once a week. Truck runs like garbage when it happens. Turn her off, and right back on and she runs fine. Bought the sensor at Napa for like 20 bucks. Figure its a pretty simple job, read up on it and got worried. Does the timing have to be synced after I change this? I don't have a scanner or anything so I would have to have a shop do this. Thanks for any help.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, it is easy.

A bit difficult to bend your hand to reach, but easy job.

One bolt, 10mm, IIRC, on the underside front of the passenger side head. Once the bolt is removed, it is only an o-ring that is holding the sensor in. Give it a gentle twist and pull, and it'll come right out. You'll loose about an ounce of oil, so be prepared for that.

Put the new one in, plug it in, and reconnect the battery...and start 'er up. That's it.

luvbeingbald

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Camshaft Positioning Sensor Location

Thank you for the location of my Camshaft Positioning Sensor for my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500! I scoured the web, and your feed was the only one I found to tell me exactly where i is. Thank you SO much for your help!!

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you for the location of my Camshaft Positioning Sensor for my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500! I scoured the web, and your feed was the only one I found to tell me exactly where i is. Thank you SO much for your help!!

Happy to help! :favorites13:

goosemayday

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
No, it is easy.

A bit difficult to bend your hand to reach, but easy job.

One bolt, 10mm, IIRC, on the underside front of the passenger side head. Once the bolt is removed, it is only an o-ring that is holding the sensor in. Give it a gentle twist and pull, and it'll come right out. You'll loose about an ounce of oil, so be prepared for that.

Put the new one in, plug it in, and reconnect the battery...and start 'er up. That's it.
Hello, I am new to this. Slowly learning. Wondering is the location the same for a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 also a 4.7 V8

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm not sure if it is the Cam or the Crankshaft sensor, but one of them is a complete PITA because it is pressed into the block. I spent about 25 mins trying to remove the old one (after the bolt was removed), and about 15 trying to press in the new one.

emjohn4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure if it is the Cam or the Crankshaft sensor, but one of them is a complete PITA because it is pressed into the block. I spent about 25 mins trying to remove the old one (after the bolt was removed), and about 15 trying to press in the new one.

That'd be the crankshaft position sensor. Ain't no cams in the block of a 4.7. :roflsquared: