Possible throttle position sensor starting to go out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, Monday, I noticed that sometimes (maybe once every 10 redlights) after I come to a stop, my RPMs will surge a little above and below my normal idle RPM.

Everything I have searched for, leads me to believe that my TPS is starting to wig out on me, what do you guys think? It hasn't gotten to the point where it's throwing a CEL yet, but I'm the kind of dude who doesn't wanna wait til it does.

Truck info:

2005 Ram 1500
4.7 engine
53,8xxx miles.

I cleaned the throttle body the weekend before last, but only cleaned the throttle plate and sprayed TB cleaner on a rag and cleaned the inlet. Never sprayed anything anywhere else on the TB. Truck ran fine after that, til this past Monday.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like it... thats the way mine started out. mine eventually threw a code after like 2 months and a ton of other symptoms started coming up

OP
OP
SmokedRam

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like it... thats the way mine started out. mine eventually threw a code after like 2 months and a ton of other symptoms started coming up

Thanks for the info Nick...I am gonna snag one from Advance tomorrow and put it on this weekend.

I got a coupon code that will lower the price from $35 to $26...and the way I see it, it has a lifetime warranty, so it will be the last one I ever have to buy. Which, is weird for a sensor.

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
your not supposed to clean the throttle bodys with throttle body cleaner your supposed to use brake cleaner.

Sagebrush2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great thread! I thought sensors just puked out - didn't realize they began to go as described. I love learning new stuff.

OP
OP
SmokedRam

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ahhh looks like Kenneth was referring to the Hemi TB though, which is different from a 4.7. Anyhoo, I'm gonna pick up a new TPS tomorrow and throw it on Saturday and report back here.

good deal but how much of a differance is there besides the size? 4.7 is still electric right?

mgpyomamma

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
same with me. replace it with autozone part and good as new :)

Hooker52

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l V8 Magnum
So do you have the issue at start up or only at red lights after driving for a while? Sounds somewhat similar to my idle problem I just posted about. Maybe not though. I'm a 5.9 though...just curious about your symptoms.

OP
OP
SmokedRam

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So do you have the issue at start up or only at red lights after driving for a while? Sounds somewhat similar to my idle problem I just posted about. Maybe not though. I'm a 5.9 though...just curious about your symptoms.

Nope, hasnt happened at start up...just every so often when I stop at a redlight, I get an RPM surge.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4.7s have the old cable throttle body's and the Hemis have the electronic throttle body's aka drive by wire. I think in 08 the 4.7s got drive by wires also.

RompinRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
It's not hard to replace either. 20 mins tops. Just take your time handling the sensor haha. And give it time to reset. Took my truck a little bit of running to get it back to normal. But after a lote bit of idled like a champ again

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's not hard to replace either. 20 mins tops. Just take your time handling the sensor haha. And give it time to reset. Took my truck a little bit of running to get it back to normal. But after a lote bit of idled like a champ again

after you changed it did you reset the computer or just run it till it learned?

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine took a while after I replaced it to return back to normal too. I was pissed at first when I tested it then I tried it an hour later and it was fine from then on. I didnt reset the computer though so that might help.