Programmer + Some other questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HungryHungryHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Howdy y'all,
I'm new to the Forum, and new to Ram's in general.
I've had a 96 Grand Cherokee so Mopar/Chrysler isn't entirely new to me, but the Ram is. I have a 2003 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Quad Cab Short Bed. I've been averaging around 10.5 mpg "city" and about 16.5 highway with the cruise set to 65. These numbers seem just awful. Was I being to hopeful when expecting larger numbers? The truck has 122k on the odo but looks absolutely fantastic. The body is incredible, no rust at all and the paint looks brand new. I've already put a short ram intake on with 3" aluminum piping, and I plan to replace the stock muffler with a 3" SI/SO Thrush Welded, and re-reroute the tailpipe to dump before the rear tire on the passenger side. I plan to do this soon, within the next two weeks.
My driving is generally aimed toward economy, although occasionally I will get on it to hear it rumble. Nothing beats the V8 sound in my book.

My question(s) are:
-Is 10.5 mpg city and 16.5 highway normal or should I be seeing better?
-Upon doing some research, I have found that people seem to agree that a Superchips Flashpaq is the way to go for Rams. I don't plan on doing any custom tuning, so I'm not worried about getting the 3865 for trans tuning. Will the 3815 provide a noticeable difference in power, but mainly in mpg? If I were to buy a tuner, because they aren't exactly cheap, would the mpg gains justify the price?
-As I mentioned above, I'm considering the SC Flashpaq: Will it work with the 2003 Ram Hemi? If not, what will?

-Also, and slightly off topic, a check engine light came on and I pulled 2175 and 2106 from the key cycle. I've read that cleaning the throttle body is one of the main solutions. Is that worth it? And how do I go about cleaning the TB? I've read that TB cleaner works as long as it isn't sprayed directly into the TB, and I've read that TB Cleaner sucks and that Brake Cleaner is the way to go... Suggestions?

Thanks!

Gecko

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004, 2004
Engine
5.7L Hemi, 8.3L V10
Those mpg numbers sound about right, or even better than normal actually. I can't speak for the superchips tuner as I have a diablo but I know the tuner helped me when I got mine.

KNG SNKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Starter fluid and a soft bristle brush like a tooth brush. (Recommended from Tators Garage)
Worked great on mine and low risk of damaging the board.

OP
OP
H

HungryHungryHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any other input would be great. Doesn't matter which question(s) you answer im just looking for opinions on whatever.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990