Replaced head gaskets, but now wont start with out pressing throttle. wont idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

instyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
04 Ram 2500
Engine
hemi 5.7
So I am officially frustrated,lol.

I just bought this truck (04 Hemi 2500), it had 4 broken exhaust bolts. But it ran very smooth.

So, I pulled the heads.sent it in, had it planed, and bolts drilled out, installed all new gaskets and bolts. I get it all back together, following all torque specs. I rotated the crank by hand a few times to check any problems and there were none. Finally get it completed. But now it wont start.

I mean, it will start at wide open throttle, but won't idle. I can keep it running by pressing throttle. I have checked all connections and everything is good.

It ran fine before, so I couldn't imagine it being a sensor. It did throw the PO172 and PO175 code when warmed right up (holding throttle at 2000rpm). I cleaned the intake and the PCV valve (which was dirty).

I am just now at a loss.

Any ideas?

Ps: It ran good before I pulled it apart, so I really can't imagine a broken spring.

OP
OP
I

instyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
04 Ram 2500
Engine
hemi 5.7
SOLVED

So after a tune of playing around, I finally broke down and pulled the valve covers off. While cranking the motor over...I noticed the the intake valve for both cylinder 5 and 7 were not opening. This made me believe the lifters were shot.

However...as I pulled the rocker arms off...i found the problem. When I installed the pushrods into the head...they missed the hole, and they went above the hole. Everything looked fine because the angles were almost identicale as the rest.

Reinstalled them and runs like a top!

Yes there was beer involved in the assembly of the motor. BUT...it was a very easy mistake. hahaha

Juts and FYI

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Yup, rods in the oil gallery holes are a common mistake for people that don't do it that often.