Rough Idle and Hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello All,

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 and I am having an issue with a rough idle and hesitation at initial acceleration. Once up to speed all is fine but when I pull to a stop, there is a rough idle and hesitation to start again. I am getting a code P0440 from it which is for the evaporative emissions system. I have checked the gas cap and the gasket is in good shape and from what I see and it should be getting a good seal. Just wondering if anyone has crossed this problem before so I don't start throwing parts at something I'm not sure about.

Thanks Much!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Hello All,

I have a 2004 Ram 1500 5.7 and I am having an issue with a rough idle and hesitation at initial acceleration. Once up to speed all is fine but when I pull to a stop, there is a rough idle and hesitation to start again. I am getting a code P0440 from it which is for the evaporative emissions system. I have checked the gas cap and the gasket is in good shape and from what I see and it should be getting a good seal. Just wondering if anyone has crossed this problem before so I don't start throwing parts at something I'm not sure about.

Thanks Much!

Sounds like a bad vacuum leak, check all lines especially the ones behind the engine, Smoke test it if you can't find anything.

OP
OP
B

bwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will check and if I can't find it, I'll have my mechanic friend take a peek! Thanks for the help!

OP
OP
B

bwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like a bad vacuum leak, check all lines especially the ones behind the engine, Smoke test it if you can't find anything.

I checked the vacuum lines as best I could and didn't find anything but I will get further inspection done with a smoking machine. Did I mention that the problem was intermittent. One moment it runs perfect and another, it is shaking violently. Not sure if this helps you with diagnosis.

Thanks!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I checked the vacuum lines as best I could and didn't find anything but I will get further inspection done with a smoking machine. Did I mention that the problem was intermittent. One moment it runs perfect and another, it is shaking violently. Not sure if this helps you with diagnosis.

Thanks!

If it was a vacuum leak, I think it would be consistent. Now that I know it's intermittent, now I'm suspect to a faulty sensor, your going to have to get the truck on a computer to have a peak inside pcm, good luck bud and keep us posted.

with it being intermittent, there's not much you can do without a good scan tool.

Do any cel's come on when it happens?

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd also check spark and fuel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it was a vacuum leak, I think it would be consistent. Now that I know it's intermittent, now I'm suspect to a faulty sensor, your going to have to get the truck on a computer to have a peak inside pcm, good luck bud and keep us posted.

with it being intermittent, there's not much you can do without a good scan tool.

Do any cel's come on when it happens?

I will check that out. I have a cheap scanner from Amazon and I am getting the code P0440 which is for the evaporative emissions system. Would I have to take it to a dealer to have them check it?

Thanks!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
I will check that out. I have a cheap scanner from Amazon and I am getting the code P0440 which is for the evaporative emissions system. Would I have to take it to a dealer to have them check it?

Thanks![/QUOTE

You can take to any local shop that has the right equipment, no need to waste $ at the stealerships.

Before you do that, take a peak about half way down the truck on the driver side underneath on the frame rail is where your evap system is, check all those hose and fittings first before spending on getting it scanned.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks![/QUOTE

You can take to any local shop that has the right equipment, no need to waste $ at the stealerships.

Before you do that, take a peak about half way down the truck on the driver side underneath on the frame rail is where your evap system is, check all those hose and fittings first before spending on getting it scanned.

Sounds good! Thanks!