Transmission shifting up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marines83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi mag
I have a 2004 dodge 1500 5.7 hemi. It has 125k on it for the past yr it started shift week. after it warms up it wants to keep shifting to over drive. I need to just about mash the excellerator to the floor to get it to down shift. It even does this if i put it in trailering. I'm losing alot of torgue and mileage is going down. I have no codes I took it to a transmission shop and of course it shifted fine the whole time he ran it. He suggested i try changing the throttle Positioning sensor. I come to find out that i cannot get one for this truck i am being told I need to replace the whole throttle body. Has anyone experienced this or know anything about this.I do not want to replace the whole throttle body on a maybe.

OlDirtyJohn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Quad Cab 2500 *Sold*
Engine
Hemi 5.7
yes, you cannot replace just the TPS. You would have to replace the entire throttle body. You can do some searching and find an article about recalibrating the TPS. You could reset your pcm. you could pay to have a "quick learn" procedure done on the trans (although I dont think that would be too much help). You can check your trans fluid for proper level and make sure its bright red and doesn't smell burnt. Or you could drop the pan and do a fluid/filter swap. All the info you need is somewhere here in this site. You could start by reading through the 3rd gen DIY section.

Blackram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2004 dodge 1500 5.7 hemi. It has 125k on it for the past yr it started shift week. after it warms up it wants to keep shifting to over drive. I need to just about mash the excellerator to the floor to get it to down shift. It even does this if i put it in trailering. I'm losing alot of torgue and mileage is going down. I have no codes I took it to a transmission shop and of course it shifted fine the whole time he ran it. He suggested i try changing the throttle Positioning sensor. I come to find out that i cannot get one for this truck i am being told I need to replace the whole throttle body. Has anyone experienced this or know anything about this.I do not want to replace the whole throttle body on a maybe.

I doubt it is the throttle body. If it was you would have other drivability issues. I know I did when my throttle body went out on me. Has it always shifted like this for you or is this something new that has just started happening?

OP
OP
M

marines83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi mag
Its done this for the past 1 1/2 yrs but is getting worse with time.