12 volt outlets in truck bed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdftwrth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hi there,

Got a question, wife and I do a lot of traveling and we occasionally run into things that we can't find where we live in Texas, the problem is getting the stuff home before it spoils.

A neighbor of mine has a 12v frig/freezer in his travel trailer that works real good for him, i would like to put one of those things in the bed of my 2013 ram 1500 laramie longhorn but don't really know how I would go about putting a couple of 12v outlets in the bed of my truck.

anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

JD

BlkRamRt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i would run a second battery and a power inverter or "what ever its called" that can handle what the frig/freezer require.

JimE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hi there,

Got a question, wife and I do a lot of traveling and we occasionally run into things that we can't find where we live in Texas, the problem is getting the stuff home before it spoils.

A neighbor of mine has a 12v frig/freezer in his travel trailer that works real good for him, i would like to put one of those things in the bed of my 2013 ram 1500 laramie longhorn but don't really know how I would go about putting a couple of 12v outlets in the bed of my truck.

anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

JD

Wow do we understand the problem. We live out in the boonies from anything roughly half way between Houston and San Antonio. Nearest neighbors are wild hogs, Coyotes, and an occasional cougar along with a myriad of small critters. The job should be rather easy. I'd run wiring directly from the battery back to where in the bed you'd like to add basic cigar lighter sockets (get the ones with covers) if you are considering one of those refrigerators often used by truckers. I'd use at least 12 ga trailer lighting wire with an appropriate value fuse for the power draw of the refrigeration unit you will be using.

We use a good size ice chest that we load up with frozen reusable ice packs before heading to the store to buy frozen foods, dairy products or meats. Never had anything thaw out or spoil with this arrangement which should be okay up to three hours or so even when the temperature reaches 105 degrees, which it commonly does around here in July and August.

Podcast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The other thing that's easy ta do is run the 12v socket from the trailer wiring.

Brearlymason

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See Here

Get an Engel! They have all the wiring you need!

See Here

I have Engel for both of my trucks, the wife's car, and the boat. Nothing works better for during hunting season. While everyone else is trying to get their deer/elk out before it rots in the AZ heat, I butcher it on the spot and put in the fridges.

JimE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The other thing that's easy ta do is run the 12v socket from the trailer wiring.

Good idea that is a lot less trouble than running wiring from the battery. Only thing one would have to worry about is the fuse associated with the trailer connection being adequate to handle the amperage of the frig.