2017 3.0 radio have Sirius Tuner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kev4Bama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
New member here! I just got my first Ram 1500 Truck through work. its a 2017 Tradesman Quad Cab with the 5.7 liter V-8

The truck came with the standard Uconnect 3.0 radio in it. My question is does this radio already have the Sirius tuner built in and all I have to do is plug in the Sat antenna to the back? Trying to find the answer to this I found that the radio does indeed have the yellow Fakra connector for a satellite antenna so seems like it wouldnt have the antenna hookup back there if the tuner wasnt already there.

From looking around local dealerships I also saw where trucks with this radio had sirius working and installed. so my question is does this 2017 model radio already have the Sat tuner in it and all I need to do is install a Satellite antenna with a Female Fakra connector to make it appear on screen or is there a tuner kit that needs to be purchased?

Thanks in Advance

Kevin

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From my limited knowledge the 3.0 doesn't have the ability for Sirius, you need to move into a 5.0 to get that option.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
From my limited knowledge the 3.0 doesn't have the ability for Sirius, you need to move into a 5.0 to get that option.

The 3.0 can have Sirius. Sirius is standard on everything above the Express trim. To get it on the lower trim level trucks you need the "Popular Equipment Group" which comes with cloth seats, carpet, floor mats, and Sirius.

I don't believe there is different hardware for trucks that have Sirius vs. those that don't. It might be a setting in the BCM to enable/disable it. I know there is a satellite radio setting in there, but I don't know if that's what controls the radio's functionality.

I've honestly never heard anyone talk about a truck without Sirius (even though I know they exist), so it's probably something we don't have a lot of info on.

ExpressRules

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express Crew Cab & 2019 Big Horn Crew Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 3.0 can have Sirius. .

I stand corrected. After 00R/T posted I did a quick check and Sirius is an available option with the 3.0 radio. The thing I'm not sure about and sure that one of the more knowledgeable members can say is if a 3.0 is a plug and play for Sirius.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There's no separate hardware for the 3.0 to have Sirius. The antenna plugs directly into the back of the radio and the tuner is integrated just like with the other radios. That would indicate that there are actually two different RA1 radios (one with Sirius and one without) or all of them support Sirius and it's just disabled by a setting in the vehicle configuration.

Maybe there is two different versions and the trucks without the Sirius option get the same radios as Canadian trucks. That would definitely make upgrading easier.

OP
OP
K

Kev4Bama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I am wondering once an antenna is plugged into the sat jack in back if it activates the Sat function of it. I have looked and there appears to only be one part number for that radio for this model year and the radio does have the sat jack so if it wasn't capable I don't know why they would do through the expense of putting the jack on there if the tuner wasn't present.

I purchased a Sirius/XM antenna with the yellow female fakra connector for the Sat port on the other end of it and it's on its way from China so I guess worst case we shall try it and see lol. Maybe someone that comes across this will know the answer

OP
OP
K

Kev4Bama

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Still waiting on this part to come in. Hopefully this week. I have searched and searched and cannot find where they make more than one version of this radio except RA1 so I am hoping this is actually plug and play.

duunoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Still waiting on this part to come in. Hopefully this week. I have searched and searched and cannot find where they make more than one version of this radio except RA1 so I am hoping this is actually plug and play.

Just wondering what the outcome was on this. I'm supposed to go look at a 2500 that has a RA1 in it and the window sticker says it has SiriusXM. I would be putting a 8.4 in it sooner rather than later so at least it will have the antenna already ran.

luckydog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
While I don't know if they've updated things, my '14 2500 came with the RA1 and no Sirius. There was no plug on it to connect a Sirius antenna. I had to get a used RA1 with Sirius along with the antenna & cable.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 17 came with Sirius radio. Ra1 with Bluetooth as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk