2018 Ram 2500 Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxcorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have had my truck for 2 weeks and no issues with the phone. Then all of the sudden when I go to call someone via bluetooth they hear me, but it's like my speakers cut out. When they hang up on me after not hearing them my radio no longer puts out sound. I can hear when I hit the voice command button the sounds like "please say your command" or what not, but no music comes out. Randomly after 2-5 restarts of the truck the sound comes back and xm works and radio. If i call anyone on my phone bluetooth the sounds drops again. Worked fine for two weeks though.

Dealer says it's because my tmobile samsung s8 isn't supported. Does this sound correct? Just curious if there is a fix or what would cause this. I find it hard to believe a phone as common as this I can't use with my truck at all or i risk glitches like this?

New to ram so hoping you guys can help me out.

Corey

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Sounds like the dealer is giving you a load. I have never seen an issue like you described on a handful of UConnect systems, pre 2018, with various phones.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had my truck for 2 weeks and no issues with the phone. Then all of the sudden when I go to call someone via bluetooth they hear me, but it's like my speakers cut out. When they hang up on me after not hearing them my radio no longer puts out sound. I can hear when I hit the voice command button the sounds like "please say your command" or what not, but no music comes out. Randomly after 2-5 restarts of the truck the sound comes back and xm works and radio. If i call anyone on my phone bluetooth the sounds drops again. Worked fine for two weeks though.

Dealer says it's because my tmobile samsung s8 isn't supported. Does this sound correct? Just curious if there is a fix or what would cause this. I find it hard to believe a phone as common as this I can't use with my truck at all or i risk glitches like this?

Corey

It sounds like bull crap to me. It shouldn’t matter who your provider is. I can see certain phones not being compatible but not a carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If the phone isn't supported it isn't supported. I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to just dismiss the dealer as giving the OP a line of crap. Technology with stuff like this isn't instant (Uconnect has to catch up with phone manufacturers) and I'm sure there will soon be an update that will incorporate the phone. I seem to remember running into this in 2014 when I bought my Ram. I think there were some functions on the phone that didn't work but after the first update, and ever since, everything has been fine. I really doubt Uconnect goes to all the trouble of listing phones that don't work just to screw with us.

I'm not saying that's the issue but it's certainly possible.

OP
OP
G

gsxcorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yes, I did come on here to ask this as I was curious, what you guys thought.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/care/bluetooth-pairing.html

He went here and pulled up the 2018 ram 2500 with 8.4 uconnect with nav and then pulled up tmobile and sure enough my phone isn't listed. Just weird how it worked for 2 weeks just fine? Anyone else have a 2018 with a samsung or? I can't use android auto either as that creates the same "glitch".

KCaudill

The RAM
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My Verizon S8+ work perfectly. i doubt that the carrier has anything to do with it. more like a bluetooth radio problem

Gearhead87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins

Corey

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 and I have no issues with my S8+ on AT&T. Thats a load of BS the dealer is giving you.

Before you take it back unpair your phone and pair again to see if this fixes the issue. Also restart your phone.

barr0208

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 ram 1500 sport long bed
Engine
5.7 3.92 4x4 ruby red
its a load of bull crap I have a 2016 and my samsung s8 works fine

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Try erasing the phone from the radio and then the radio from the phone... then repair them again to see if that fixes the problem. Otherwise try pairing another phone to the radio and see if it does the same thing....

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Just remember that the 2018 trucks have a different 8.4 radio made by a different vendor. Just because it works in pre 2018 truck with a harman radio doesn’t mean that it will work in a 2018 truck with the Panasonic radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EJR_3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Anyone else have a 2018 with a samsung or? I can't use android auto either as that creates the same "glitch".
I have a 2018, TMobile, and a Samsung, but don't have any issues at all. Android Auto works smooth also. Maybe they can re-flash your unit with the latest software.

rango10

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If the phone isn't supported it isn't supported. I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to just dismiss the dealer as giving the OP a line of crap. Technology with stuff like this isn't instant (Uconnect has to catch up with phone manufacturers) and I'm sure there will soon be an update that will incorporate the phone. I seem to remember running into this in 2014 when I bought my Ram. I think there were some functions on the phone that didn't work but after the first update, and ever since, everything has been fine. I really doubt Uconnect goes to all the trouble of listing phones that don't work just to screw with us.

I'm not saying that's the issue but it's certainly possible.
^^^Are you serious? It's a standardized technology. Op has a premium phone with a premium radio.

I would first try to replicate the problem with a different phone. If the problem remains, go back to the dealer.

My guess would be there is a software glitch. I would ask the dealership to reinstall the software on the radio or you could do a factory reset on the radio.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

[email protected]

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I checked the phone compatibility site and I find it extremely odd the T-Mobile variant of the S8 'isn't compatible'.

I used to work with phone repair/buy back company in the past and I can tell you very little is changed in a device aside from the modem in most Samsung devices. The T-Mobile variant would basically be identical to AT&T as they're both primary GSM carriers. It would be very odd if they used a different bluetooth module for different carriers.

At first I was questioning if Bluetooth 5.0 might have anything to do with it, but it doesn't as far as I can tell. I think the next best bet is to try to troubleshoot this by trying a different phone for a bit and see if it does the same thing and go from there. But the other side of me say ffs you have a 2018 RAM that you haven't owned for a month yet, I'd also seriously consider pestering the dealer until it's exactly how you want it. :gr_guns: