8.4 unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Itsme71190

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, i know ill get some hate for it, but ive been reading and cant quite find the answer. So i know theres a difference between the 8.4 and the 8.4 with uconnect. What exactly does the uconnect do to make it extra, just apps?
Also is there a way to have a screen appear when you turn on your truck. ie: i want navigation to automatically populate, rather then hitting it then hitting map.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
I’m pretty sure the only difference between the uconnect 8.4 and uconnect 8.4N is the fact that it does have navigation. Actually they both have navigation but the basic one has it turned off via software. All you need to do is purchase a code from the dealer (or Mopar) to ‘unlock’ it. I had a 2015 1500 with navigation that had some extra apps like pandora. My new truck 2017 Power Wagon does not have any extra apps. I called and was told the newer trucks do not have those apps anymore. You can still stream through the Bluetooth icon. Also my 2015 would eventually go back to the map screen after I drove for a few seconds (and as long as I had it on prior to turning the truck off.)

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m pretty sure the only difference between the uconnect 8.4 and uconnect 8.4N is the fact that it does have navigation. Actually they both have navigation but the basic one has it turned off via software. All you need to do is purchase a code from the dealer (or Mopar) to ‘unlock’ it. I had a 2015 1500 with navigation that had some extra apps like pandora. My new truck 2017 Power Wagon does not have any extra apps. I called and was told the newer trucks do not have those apps anymore. You can still stream through the Bluetooth icon. Also my 2015 would eventually go back to the map screen after I drove for a few seconds (and as long as I had it on prior to turning the truck off.)
The 8.4 N which is also the RA4 or VP4NA does have features the non factory Nav unit does not. Even though you can activate the nav in the RA3 or non nav radio it does not have Travel Link or Real-Time traffic capabilities. Also the RA4 has HD radio and the non Nav RA3 radio doesn't.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Actually there is a non uconnect 8.4A, I had one in my 2013, was ordered with u connect delete and xm delete. The non uconnect radio had no cell card in it and no uconnect buttons on mirror. Last week I put in a 2015 8.4AN and did the 911 bypass plug. Difference between a 8.4A and 8.4A uconnect is you don't have ability to get a hotspot you pay for from uconnect or apps, but otherwise everything else is same(voice commands etc). For those wanting to go from base radio to the 8.4A a non uconnect radio is a little cheaper and you don't have to pay the $50 to buy a 911 delete. Non uconnect radio doesn't even have a cell signal uconnect sprint plug, just gps, media center and antenna. Not sure if there's a 8.4AN non uconnect, also I haven't found a way to change startup screen, did a lot of reading on posts and unless you can modify update file which is difficult, there Is no way.