advise on 8.4AN radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i currently have the RA3 radio without steering wheel controls. ( i did purchase the steering wheel volume kit already )

i am planning on purchasing the 8.4AN radio with Nav from oemautopartsco.

the question is should i also purchase the external volume knob with the kit ? i've never had a radio with just the steering wheel controls. i guess i could get used to it but maybe it would be better with both ?

any advice would be appreciated.

thanks, stony
2014 BLACK EXPRESS

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
For the price of the radio from oempartsco you can find a used ra4 factory 8.4 bezel, AC module, and get a adapter harness from one of the guys on here for half the price

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
An express didn't come with a RA3 are you sure you dont have an RA2? Either way the setup from OEM is way to expensive. You can buy the exact RA4 from Car-Part.com for 4 to 5 hundred dollars. I have a Bezel from O.E.M with the volume knob that I used untill I upgraded to the factory bezel that is described in the D.Y.I thread 5.0 to 8.4 bezel upgrade. There are members making the harness needed right now to install this plug and play with the factory bezel wich is much nicer than the one O.E.M. is selling. All of your functions will work exactly like the same as if the truck came with it including your climate control your total price would be right around 750.00 to 800.00 for a much nicer unit. This is a pic of mine after the upgrade...total cost 730.00 this is by far the best way to go on my opinion. If you read the posts in detail on the thread I think you will agree.

Attachments

• 20150514_133113.jpg
    20150514_133113.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
My blackout express it came with the 5.0 ra2 I'm guessing that's what you have. I'm waiting on a harness and I'll be able to swap to the 8.4ra4 for less than 800

OP
OP
S

stony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
i stand corrected, i do have the 5.0 RA2 radio, Rick your set up looks perfect. i will do more research regarding the harness and diy, i sure would like to save some $$. i just wanted to make it easy on myself with buying everything from one place and have it plug and play.

if i need more help i'll just post my questions and would it be OK if i pm'd you guys for advice.

thanks, stony

MproRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
An express didn't come with a RA3 are you sure you dont have an RA2? Either way the setup from OEM is way to expensive. You can buy the exact RA4 from Car-Part.com for 4 to 5 hundred dollars. I have a Bezel from O.E.M with the volume knob that I used untill I upgraded to the factory bezel that is described in the D.Y.I thread 5.0 to 8.4 bezel upgrade. There are members making the harness needed right now to install this plug and play with the factory bezel wich is much nicer than the one O.E.M. is selling. All of your functions will work exactly like the same as if the truck came with it including your climate control your total price would be right around 750.00 to 800.00 for a much nicer unit. This is a pic of mine after the upgrade...total cost 730.00 this is by far the best way to go on my opinion. If you read the posts in detail on the thread I think you will agree.

New here, just bought a 2015 RAM Black Express, love it. Could you post the thread this info is in?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i stand corrected, i do have the 5.0 RA2 radio, Rick your set up looks perfect. i will do more research regarding the harness and diy, i sure would like to save some $$. i just wanted to make it easy on myself with buying everything from one place and have it plug and play.

if i need more help i'll just post my questions and would it be OK if i pm'd you guys for advice.

thanks, stony

Using the factory bezel seemed impossible for a while but after months of trial and error Getupkid and some others where able to figure it out. Usually the hard part is making your own harness or finding someone to make it for you. There are always people looking for a harness and usually no one to make it. There are at least two members selling harnesses right now for the 2014-15 with the 7 speed fan. Getupkid is making them as well as Cuyler Tech. You can P.M. either one of them to try to order a harness if you don't feel comfortable making your own. The harnesses are between 50 and a 100 dollars depending on who sells it and where you want your heater control module mounted. ALL the rest is a simple plug and play. I recommend ordering a harness now if you are sure you are going to do the upgrade since thst is usually the only thing that holds people up. We are fortunate that we have members willing to make them for us. After the harmess you will need
1...RA4 radio
2...factory 8.4 bezel with single zone climate control
3...heater control module
4...you will need a dummy plug to install in your wifi port on the back of the radio to prevent 911 mirror error messages O.E.M sells them or some people make them. Or some people actually hook it all up but that gets more entailed. The posts for the upgrade are in the 4th gen D.I.Y. forum under 5.0 to 8.4 bezel upgrade and 5.0 to 8.4 navigation upgrade. Read the posts all of the way through and you will have all of the part numbers needed and see where people are getting them

Attachments

• 20150514_114607.jpg
    20150514_114607.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stony

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
another question, i just wanted to make sure that when/if i purchase a 8.4an radio thru car-parts.com or ebay i need to get the vin # then call my dealer to get the security code ? correct ?

thanks again stony

jbr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine