CB Radios (Civilian Band Radio)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm convinced that ample people here have extensive experience with modern CBRs and could possibly enlighten me on details.

That being said, I'd like to discuss superlative devices along with inferior devices. I took a cruise to the local Fry's Electronics, and to my finding CBRs have about 15 extra features that I'm not familiar with.

I would like something that will scan CB radio waves and let me know which channel has the most traffic in that specific area, other than that everything else is icing on the cake.

Also maybe something that has a built in police scanner, if it exists.

Thanks,
User

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
If you want a long range radio and or to scan police radio you need to look for ham radio, can get an inexpensive Chinese made radio that'll do the job, search amazon for ham radio, there are dual band ones for about $45 but it won't catch cb radio band, I'm not sure but for that you'll need a cheap regular radio...

I keep a ham radio in my truck for times when we go hiking or biking in forest and there's no cell phone coverage.. Just in case. Look at radio reference dot com

Cormier3288

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7-liter HEMI
SO just to make sure im understanding. Ham radio are better to have if you out in the woods and need to reach someone? And CB are better for on the highway?

OP
OP
User

User

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RC Black Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
SO just to make sure im understanding. Ham radio are better to have if you out in the woods and need to reach someone? And CB are better for on the highway?

Ham radios require a license to operate, operate on a higher power level and can transmit multiple data types, including Morse code around the world, and much more.

CBs are not licensed, which in return allows more ********* on it so the bands are a bit trashy, but that is why you scan and find a good one. They are limited in range, and only transmit voice.

They differ quit a bit, I just don't want to be licensed.

GoatRider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7
Channel 9 is generally for emergencies, 19 is the more commonly used channel for highway use, by truck drivers, etc. I don't know of any kind of seek/scan function though