No highs in front 6x9s???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
I just swapped out the 6x9s in the front doors and they really don't sound any better.

The stock have no highs what so ever and I figured the 3-way JBLs would get some more highs to go along with the dash speakers but that's not the case. I used the crutchfield adapters.

Anything Im missing?

Thanks
Steven

Savfil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 - SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
What did you set your treble level at? Stock radio or aftermarket? In my 2012 the stock radio didn't have too bad highs if you adjust the treble level... but aftermarket h/u will usually give you better results. Also, the tweeters on the speakers may not be functioning properly.

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What did you set your treble level at? Stock radio or aftermarket? In my 2012 the stock radio didn't have too bad highs if you adjust the treble level... but aftermarket h/u will usually give you better results. Also, the tweeters on the speakers may not be functioning properly.

I will have to check what I set it on. I have the REN radio.

Yeah, I understand a new H/U will help give them more power but damn I would the new ones would be some what better. lol

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I just put polk 3.5 and 6.5 in mine and it made a world of difference. I still have the stock hu. I got mine set to +8 on trbl, +2 mid and flat on the bass. I could probably turn the trbl down some more but I've gotten used to it

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I too have the polk 3.5"

see, I was debating on getting 6.5" or 6x9s in the front..
I like bass, but I know 6x9s will never be like a sub but I got them anyways.....

Can you hear the highs out of your door speakers? Mine are barley noticeable. I have to put my head to them to hear anything. lol

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
do you have the alpine system?

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
then you wont have highs in front. The alpine system has mid-low in front and mid to high in back and high to the 3 dash and the 2 roof speakers.

I came across the same issue when I replaced my door speakers with 3 way 6x9's

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
then you wont have highs in front. The alpine system has mid-low in front and mid to high in back and high to the 3 dash and the 2 roof speakers.

I came across the same issue when I replaced my door speakers with 3 way 6x9's

ooo really..

Is there a way around this?

I guess I will put the 6x9s in the rear and just get some 2 ways for the front if there's no easy fix.. bummer.

cableguy_hd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 2500 CTD
Engine
6.7 Cummings
I DONT have the alpine set up. I had my radio on with the fader up and on the side I was replacing and heard an immediate difference... sorry for your troubles. Oh and I went with the 6.5 cause I knew I'd be putting in subs soon

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
ooo really..

Is there a way around this?

I guess I will put the 6x9s in the rear and just get some 2 ways for the front if there's no easy fix.. bummer.

yes. bypass the alpine amp. Thats where its crossed over for sound. I'm sure there is a way to do it. I never looked into it

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yes. bypass the alpine amp. Thats where its crossed over for sound. I'm sure there is a way to do it. I never looked into it

Yeah, That's probably the only way to do it. Get a aftermarket amp and power them off that. Some things to think about.

Wonder if I can buy this.
Amazon.com: Metra 70-6504 Amplifier Bypass Harness for Select 2004-2009 Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep Vehicles: Automotive

Then hook one end to the alpine amp and the other end to a aftermarket amp to run the speakers off that.. The only thing is I wonder if it would by pass the dash and roof speakers. umm

kkreit01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why the Alpine system just sucks. It sounds horrible, and it's a major PITA to upgrade. As stated, there's no full-range signal in the front cabin.

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is why the Alpine system just sucks. It sounds horrible, and it's a major PITA to upgrade. As stated, there's no full-range signal in the front cabin.

I have to agree.

Just a update.

I put the stock speakers back in the front and just put the new 6x9s in the rear. I will say it cleared up the sound a lot. Dont have much bass but I was thinking of buying some midd bass speakers for the front doors.

Dont know yet. It seems even adding just a aftermarket amp for the door speakers is a pain. Might focus on other mods for now, stereo stuff can get expensive QUICK...lol

Ironcheif on the other forum has a very good read on the alpine system and what he has done.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I havent tron into the Alpine, but assume the amp is possibly like a small class d 1 ohm amp, and when you maybe added 4 ohm coax, it actually lowered output? Thats the way our kits are, and the only way around would be bypass Alpine system entirely like others have suggested. I know that stinks, but that may be your issue :(

OP
OP
BlownGP

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I havent tron into the Alpine, but assume the amp is possibly like a small class d 1 ohm amp, and when you maybe added 4 ohm coax, it actually lowered output? Thats the way our kits are, and the only way around would be bypass Alpine system entirely like others have suggested. I know that stinks, but that may be your issue :(

Yeah, that's what it crutchfield said when I was checking out. Stock speakers are 2ohm and putting in 4ohm will make the volume lower. I guess it did a little. Still clearer, but I know the speakers not even being used to there full potential.

I've read about by passing the stock amp, but no one as posted what works best. Everyone seems to have problems with it..

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gut it and start over from headunit down to the small speakers in the headliner lol. IMO that will be the best way to save a big headache and you will get it to sound the way you want.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Yup, it's kinda like the old GM Bose, anyway to get around it, ws to totally redo it, speakers, amp and all.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep that is exactly what I was thinking of. That was a big headache for a buddy and I until he went hey I'll buy a new headunit and amp.