Ra4 upgrade issue!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckie707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have a 2014 1500 express swapped from ra2 to ra4 uconenxt. Worked fine for 2 weeks now having issue where radio is dead black screen no audio no anything . If I disconnect battery hold terminals together for a minute then restart truck radio works but once it sits overnight it goes dark again. Anyone have a clue what's going on ????

[email protected]

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you purchased the upgrade from us at Infotainment.com please feel free to pm me, email, or reach out to me directly for assistance. 9:00am-5:30PM EST.

It sounds like it may be a faulty unit if it started happening that quick after the install. Double check the connections to confirm nothing is loose.

Alternatively, we have experienced issues in the past with not matching the correct unit to the year. So if your RA4 isn't the same model year as the unit, we have seen some funky things happen.

OP
OP
T

Truckie707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So if I have a 2014 car the 2017 radio will not work properly?

[email protected]

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's not that it won't work properly, but if the unit was not updated, and it recently updated, you may notice some differences.
Specifically involving grayed out media ports, but based on your first post I don't believe that is the issue. Please keep in mind this is specifically involving units from Infotainment directly, and I don't believe this includes outside programming.

2013/2014/2015 Vehicles:
•UConnect App button is now in the center on the task bar on the menu (instead of far right)
•You now have the ability to drag and drop icons.

2016/2017 Vehicles:
•The new update only updates bug fixes/ application performance for 16/17.

Ports (USB/SD etc) should show up automatically under media without the need for a port patch.
(13/14/15 Vehicles will always show ports.)

If your ports are not showing on media, please verify you have the most recent update.
If you do, it's likely you have a 13/14/15 vehicle with a 16/17 RA3/RA4.
To view the ports in this instance, we would highly recommend taking your vehicle to the dealership and requesting a "Restore Vehicle Config".
Not only will this give you the ability to see the ports that are connected, but in the process they will update your BCM which can fix any bugs/patches the system.

This information may be irrelevant to you so I would please take with a grain of salt.

When you say the screen just goes black at random, can you confirm when exactly it happens? Like when driving? Or do you happen to notice a trend?

We have had folks in the past not realize the 'screen off' button was pressed. I would also recommend trying a factory reset if you haven't already.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if I have a 2014 car the 2017 radio will not work properly?

I had the same kind of problems when I tried swapping in a 2016 RA4 into my 2014 that already had a RA3.

DeereGuy

Preferred Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I actually sold the op this radio. The radio worked perfectly fine in the ops truck for over 2 weeks. All of a sudden, if the truck sits for a long period of time the radio will not start back up until he disconnects the battery. With Normal restart cycles through the day, the radio works correctly. Since it worked correctly for several weeks, and the op has not upgraded it or had the truck flashed with any updates. I feel it is not a compatibility problem and most likely a hardware problem. A factory reset was also performed today. Not sure it has been long enough to know if it had any effect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

RamGirl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
5.7 Hemi
are you using a lockpick or any kind of device for video or video in motion or jailbreaking it?

if its been 2 weeks, it's something external to the radio- like a mod or something else that was added. I doubt the radio is the problem and Jesus already, whats with the disconnecting the battery cables? it isn't 1985. Come on Truckie, tell us the whole story, what you been tinkering with? trying to change the splash screen? you get that AE tool from someone and get a little crazy with a 6 pack one night and think you didn't break anything :)

I know all about you guys, I got one of my own and 2 teenage boys who tweak cars all the time.... uh, i didn't do anything, turns into, Damn, that cause that?

OP
OP
T

Truckie707

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Haha very funny! Haven't done any mods to truck since radio install and when u disconnect both terminals and hold them together it clears everything out after I do that the radio turns back on . I did reset yesterday and it worked this morning after sitting from 10pm to 6 am so we'll see if it works again today after work