Reverse wire, that runs into the cab? help! :(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram sport 4x4 crew
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys! im installing a aftermarket back up camera. and they gave me a short reverse wire, im trying to locate the reverse wire that's on my rear tail gate light. im trying to locate the wire that's under my dash by my foot pedal. Does anyone know the exact wire i can tap this into? so i trigger that reverse signal for my camera?

2013 ram 1500 SLT

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I would trigger off your backup lights.
I think there is even a wire down at the trailer connector.

Does that help?

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
im not sure, im thinking its as easy as this....take off my revers light cover, and look at the color of the reverse wire....and find it under my dash, where my break pedal is....i just dont want to mess anything up...or tap into the wrong wire lol.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Extend the wire easy as that and then for sure you are getting the right wire instead of trying to find the 4th blue wire in a bundle of forty of them.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
yeah i know, i just dont want to run that wire all the way from my dash, to the bed of my truck.....not sure even how id come to do that .

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I installed an aftermarket backup camera. The instructions said the same thing. I just got 2 20' cables and ran the wires from the front to the back. It was easier to tap the reverse wire from the tail light.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
okay thanks, where did you run that long wire to then??? from the dash allthe way back to the tail light? mind giving me direction lol.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
THE REVERSE wire is short, its ment to wire directly under ur dash where ever your tail light revers wire runs into the cab, just so its easier.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I took a red and black wire. Used a crimp splicer and connected it to the camera with the RCA cable that came with the camera. Wraped them in electrical tape. I ram the wires down the drivers side. Under the drivers side molding there is a black cable going out of the cab to under the car. Once under I used one of those black plastic wire protecter. Than I followed the stock wires to the back. Zip tying along the way. One in the back I split the wire. One side to the camera and the other to the reverse wire in the tail light. I hope that helps. Don't for get to reseal the rubber grommet that you run the wire from the cab to under the truck.

OP
OP
stevens

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thanks a bunch!!!

Bkhsvt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
One word:
Multimeter. This will allow you to find the correct wire every time.
A installers best friend....the wire you seek will be in one of the kick panels either driver or passenger. It will read 12v wile only in reverse.

romansam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
Hey guys so I'm not going out and buying a long cable to run from the back, I've been at this all day just to find out that a manual truck does not run reverse signal through the canbus, I want a wire from the cab that shoots 12 volts out when in reverse to run it to my radio to tell it that I am in reverse, no ifs and or butts, not running another cable across my truck, any ideas which wire it is please? I have a multi meter and am handy with electronica but I don't want to stab ever single wire

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

tncruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
center lead in trailer plug is R just tap in there ,that's how I did it
,originally I wanted camera on when ever ignition was on like the rear view camera in my motorhome BUT found that the lead gets warm after 10 or so minutes on my particular set up
brianj

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
center lead in trailer plug is R just tap in there ,that's how I did it
,originally I wanted camera on when ever ignition was on like the rear view camera in my motorhome BUT found that the lead gets warm after 10 or so minutes on my particular set up
brianj

I did this same thing as you with wiring. I took a chance on a $20 camera from amazon to connect to my aftermarket radio and it has worked out well. I soldered some wire to the short leads from the camera and ran both 12V and GND quick spliced to the trailer plug. Like others above stated, I ran the RCA into the cab from underneath the vehicle and straight to the radio input. RCA entered the cab thru a plastic spacer in the rear passenger side cubby. Used loom and zip ties on all external wires.

The camera only turns on when reverse is engaged so there is a slight delay on the radio for the picture to come in. I didn't know how durable a cheap camera would be so I didn't want ignition power on it all the time. Since I used an aftermarket radio, I lucked out with having a wire specifically on the harness for reverse.