RHR radio and backup camera?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Hey guys,
I am thinking about getting the backup camera (my truck only has the sensors) and it seems the planets are lined up against me. My radio is the 730N but the code is RHR. After talking to the dealer, the regular camera that displays on the factory radio won't work. Gotta get the rear view mirror that displays the picture from the camera. I was really hoping to keep it mopar, but I don't want the mirror, either.

Anyone have an RHR with a camera? Did my dealer (hopefully) overlook something?

If he's right, would I be better off getting a lockpick v4 and adding a camera?

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The factory back up camera works with all touchscreen radios so it should work fine.

I would get the lockpick and an aftermarket camera though. Both the lockpick and a camera cost as much as the factory back up camera kit. You will get a ton of features with the lockpick as well. That is the route I am going when I get a camera for my truck.

OP
OP
AV8B6015

AV8B6015

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
The factory back up camera works with all touchscreen radios so it should work fine.

I would get the lockpick and an aftermarket camera though. Both the lockpick and a camera cost as much as the factory back up camera kit. You will get a ton of features with the lockpick as well. That is the route I am going when I get a camera for my truck.

See, that's what I thought, too, but then I noticed that the backup cameras I saw (mopar) all specified RER or one other code, nut not RHR. The parts guy at my dealer said he called around and the consensus was that it would not work with my radio.

That being said, when it comes time, I'll likely go with the lockpick for the reasons you mentioned above. I just really had my heart set on a camera mounted in the tailgate handle. Maybe I can still make that work.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
See, that's what I thought, too, but then I noticed that the backup cameras I saw (mopar) all specified RER or one other code, nut not RHR. The parts guy at my dealer said he called around and the consensus was that it would not work with my radio.

That being said, when it comes time, I'll likely go with the lockpick for the reasons you mentioned above. I just really had my heart set on a camera mounted in the tailgate handle. Maybe I can still make that work.

You can install a aftermarket camera in the tailgate handle. Check this thread out. http://www.ramforum.com/f51/rear-view-camera-installed-2747/ Looks factory.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And if you want to know for sure if you can install the factory camera then take your radio out and see if it has a place on the back for the camera to plug into. If it does then you are good to go.

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My friend has the tailgate camera and will be switching the license plate frame type as he can only see his when the tailgate is down....something to consider for larger loads when you really need the camera because your rear view may be obstructed

garner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can use the factory backup camera with that radio. And the kit is only like $300 for everything + labor

My friend has the tailgate camera and will be switching the license plate frame type as he can only see his when the tailgate is down....something to consider for larger loads when you really need the camera because your rear view may be obstructed

The factory one? It should show the edge of the back bumper and then about a foot of ground. Sounds like his is off. Or did you mean he can only see when his tailgate is up?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I would also probably go the route of the lockpic and an aftermarket camera because of all the other features the lockpick will give you

fat1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I meant to say he can only use it when the tailgate is UP. when it is down he only sees under the truck and his rear bumper.

S2kiHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And if you go with the lockpick you can add multiple cameras. I'm going to install one in the front bumper as well.