Self install of MOPAR remote start, can't drive till flash?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got off the phone with the dealer for a price on a sales code flash and programming for the MOPAR remote start if I install myself. The dealer was worried I wouldn't be able to drive the truck once it's installed, as he believed my OEM key would be useless after the install. What have you guys Expirenced?

I'm trying to figure out if it's more cost effective to go with the remote start with the two keys included or just buy and program one key. End result is I need one key at least, I lost my spare.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can still drive the truck. I did everything on mine except install the pins at the BCM then took it to the dealer with the interior still ripped apart and they flashed it for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can still drive the truck. I did everything on mine except install the pins at the BCM then took it to the dealer with the interior still ripped apart and they flashed it for me

So if I do put in the pins at the BCM before taking it to a dealer I may not be able to drive it home.

But I'll have to finish the BCM pin install at the dealer before driving home right?

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah. I had everything set up and ready to go so they just did that part when they flashed the codes took them 10 minutes to do it. Then I drove it home and put it all back together. And your old keys will still work. I have 4 keys now

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah. I had everything set up and ready to go so they just did that part when they flashed the codes took them 10 minutes to do it. Then I drove it home and put it all back together. And your old keys will still work. I have 4 keys now

Allright sounds good. So you just had them install the pins in the BCM. This sounds like the best idea... I'm still waiting on them to tell me what they want for all this price wise.

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ask for a price if you had them install it? Just curious because if they do install it, they will warranty it like the rest of the truck.

Mine should be here Monday or Tuesday and I am still trying to decide if I want them to do it.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure why you would need to install pins? My install was a harness that was added to one that was already in the headliner, I think it was for the antenna? Mine came with everything including two new remotes. I left the old module connected and drove it to the dealer for programming. The tech hooked up the new module and flashed the BCM in about 15 minutes. I drove it home and put the rear seat and all back together. Works like a charm.

FYI You also have to replace the hood latch as well, just saying.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you ask for a price if you had them install it? Just curious because if they do install it, they will warranty it like the rest of the truck.

Mine should be here Monday or Tuesday and I am still trying to decide if I want them to do it.
So I just visited the dealer. The parts from the dealer was 379.00$; Its much cheaper to buy online yourself. The dealer stated they WOULD NOT install it if I purchased it from anywhere but them, due to the inability to warranty it, so I'm guessing they will warranty the kit if you purchased it from them and had them install it. They wanted 280ish to install, at 92/hr about 3 hours of work.

Not sure why you would need to install pins? My install was a harness that was added to one that was already in the headliner, I think it was for the antenna? Mine came with everything including two new remotes. I left the old module connected and drove it to the dealer for programming. The tech hooked up the new module and flashed the BCM in about 15 minutes. I drove it home and put the rear seat and all back together. Works like a charm.

FYI You also have to replace the hood latch as well, just saying.
I just looked at the instructions on the kit that is forsale on moparonlineparts, See HERE This dealer wasn't very excited about the idea of me doing everything except the module plugin at the BCM and having them finish it up. I may be on my own here. I'm going to call some other dealers locally before I make any moves.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just buy the stuff from wherever you want, install it yourself, then call the dealer and say "I want you to add sales code '***' ". No need to explain to them what you got going on, and who cares how excited they sound about doing it.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^^*this. I got my kit for 250 and the install definitely doesn't take 3 hours. It's all plug and play they just have to reflash the module. The kit comes with everything you need to install and if you have even a slight amount of mechanical aptitude you can knock it out easy. The worst part is just taking everything apart. Mine is also covered under warranty since it's an OEM part and flashed by the dealer. I would try another dealer in your area if you can

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just looked at the instructions on the kit that is forsale on moparonlineparts, See HERE This dealer wasn't very excited about the idea of me doing everything except the module plugin at the BCM and having them finish it up. I may be on my own here. I'm going to call some other dealers locally before I make any moves.[/QUOTE]

That's the same kit I used, price is $251.72 + shipping. If you can turn a wrench and hook up a few connectors you can do this entirely on your own. Leave the old module connected to get it to the dealership. Have them hook up and flash and off you go.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If something goes wrong with the parts, the place where you bought it from should cover it under its warranty.

OP
OP
mpicc84

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just looked at the instructions on the kit that is forsale on moparonlineparts, See HERE This dealer wasn't very excited about the idea of me doing everything except the module plugin at the BCM and having them finish it up. I may be on my own here. I'm going to call some other dealers locally before I make any moves.

That's the same kit I used, price is $251.72 + shipping. If you can turn a wrench and hook up a few connectors you can do this entirely on your own. Leave the old module connected to get it to the dealership. Have them hook up and flash and off you go.[/QUOTE]

Thats the plan. What they gave me a hard time about is hooking up the module themselves without doing the pre-work. I told them I would do everything except that part, because that part had to be done after the flash. And they essentially told me unless they do everything, their not doing it.

Calling another dealer...

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That's the same kit I used, price is $251.72 + shipping. If you can turn a wrench and hook up a few connectors you can do this entirely on your own. Leave the old module connected to get it to the dealership. Have them hook up and flash and off you go.

Thats the plan. What they gave me a hard time about is hooking up the module themselves without doing the pre-work. I told them I would do everything except that part, because that part had to be done after the flash. And they essentially told me unless they do everything, their not doing it.

Calling another dealer...[/QUOTE]

Good move.

JRG18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

Calling another dealer...

Good move.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's a crap dealer. I took mine in with the back bench seat out and everything wired up with the new module bolted in but the old one wired and zip tied to it. Did the flash and added the other sales codes I wanted and I was on my way.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just to toss this out, my dealer quoted me $650, installed, including the two new fobs.

-K