Towing mirrors caused check engine light!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I decided to remove the towing mirrors and replace them with regular rear view mirrors. My truck is a 2013 2500. I bought a pair of mirrors off a guy who had a 2012 2500...everything fit perfectly.

A coupe of says later, the check engine light came on and the temperature display said minus forty degrees. The tranny started shifting funny, slaming into second, and hard down shifting at a stop. I was sure the computer was going bad at 3500 miles!

Took it to the dealer who said the mirror swap caused the problems, because the temperature sensors for my truck are in the mirrors. Ugh....

I swapped the mirrors back, disconnected the battery to clear the check engine light, and all is back to normal....

By the way, I did pay a diagnostic fee of $125.....ouch

Who would have thought????

Danimal77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The mirrors off the 12 that you bought don't have the temp sensor, thus the cel.

bouf0010

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Could have bought a OBDII scanner for less than that!

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

thrashie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 2500 Laramie
Engine
6.7l cummins turbo diesel
yer missing the ambient temp sensor on the 2012 mirrors...

it's a new thing on 2013's...look at yer original drivers side mirror, u will see what I am talking about.

I was warned about this from the dealer when I bought my truck and had tow mirrors installed...I was gonna go aftermarket, but after looking, there weren't any for that '13 that had the sensor..

now as for your truck having a spaz attack over the sensor missing, well, that seems extreme.

Ramongtx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I will trade you my sport electric fold 13 mirrors for your tow mirrors. I think your truck is the same color too. Im in Oshkosh Wisconsin so not too far away

sirul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I will trade you my sport electric fold 13 mirrors for your tow mirrors. I think your truck is the same color too. Im in Oshkosh Wisconsin so not too far away

Make sure you trade your door modules and the door switch too. I just traded my Chrome Tow mirrors with a guy for his chrome power fold mirrors and we traded mirrors, modules and the door switch. It all worked just fine. I have a 2013 Laramie 1500 and his truck is a 2014 Laramie 2500.

lizardking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7 "The real deal"
Make sure you trade your door modules and the door switch too. I just traded my Chrome Tow mirrors with a guy for his chrome power fold mirrors and we traded mirrors, modules and the door switch. It all worked just fine. I have a 2013 Laramie 1500 and his truck is a 2014 Laramie 2500.

Did you have to go to dealer to activate? Did you just install plug and play and it worked?

grzmnky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem with my 13 ram. I took the factory temp sender and wired it up inside my drivers door panel so I wouldn't have the cel and -40 on the dash. the aftermarket mirrors didn't have a temp sender. I can explain more if need be. I posted before on another thread about this.

RAMeister

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would really like to swap my 2011 Laramie tow mirrors for some that electrically fold, has anyone tried this? Any idea on the feasibility of such a swap?

TIA!

sirul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Did you have to go to dealer to activate? Did you just install plug and play and it worked?

I need to go to the dealer to activate the "Power Fold" feature. I installed the mirrors today and everything is working fine with the exception of the power fold. I did swap my modules and door switch with a 2014 Laramie 2500 and we both have the temp sensor in the mirror. Temperature displays the correct number and no check engine light display so far.

I researched the forums and going thru the sales codes, seems that the dealer has to update the BCM with a couple of codes

LER - Power Folding Mirrors

I also lost the 1- touch up and down power window (only have the 1 touch down) this feature seems to be added to the module that I swapped so it does not surprises me that it is not there now.

I will post more once I contact the dealer and see if I can complete the project.

Rc51racer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Tow mirrors for trade

I have a 2016 Limited with chrome tow mirrors, I'd like to trade with someone who has power folding chrome mirrors.

Would need to trade door modules as well, if anyone is interested PM me.

ThomsenGen4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same problem with my 13 ram. I took the factory temp sender and wired it up inside my drivers door panel so I wouldn't have the cel and -40 on the dash. the aftermarket mirrors didn't have a temp sender. I can explain more if need be. I posted before on another thread about this.

Can you explain how you wired in the ambient temperature sensor? I'm currently running into this issue with my 2015 ram 1500 sport and would like to do the same thing you did

Thanks!

Calvinh18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aftermarket tow mirrors set off check engine light

So I see from other posts that the new mirrors don't have the temp sensor in them. What can I do to get a temp sensor in the new mirrors because right now my remote start won't work and my climate control is putting out too much heat due to the -40 temp reading

Calvinh18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did you wire up the temp sensor in your door

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
So I see from other posts that the new mirrors don't have the temp sensor in them. What can I do to get a temp sensor in the new mirrors because right now my remote start won't work and my climate control is putting out too much heat due to the -40 temp reading

Actually, if you get a good set that are made for the 13+, such as the Trail Ridge tow mirrors from 1AAuto, they do have the temp sensor and everything works fine. I installed a set on my '14 last weekend and I'm loving them.

-K

* Nope, don't work for 1A or get paid by them, just love the mirrors. $340 for equal/better mirrors than the $1000 OEM ones.

20171104_142704.jpg