Wiring LED light bars

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Dodge Ram sport 4x4 crew
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello, maybe someone can give me some insight here with wiring a LED light bar... i have wired before to a switch on my older vehicles...but now im im going to put in a relay as well....and thats where i become clueless...is there some type of website or any information i can use to wire this setup? i know people do it all the time but i just want to do it the correct way.

just a simple head rack with 2 small leds for reverse and one 32" for front.

b5rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello, maybe someone can give me some insight here with wiring a LED light bar... i have wired before to a switch on my older vehicles...but now im im going to put in a relay as well....and thats where i become clueless...is there some type of website or any information i can use to wire this setup? i know people do it all the time but i just want to do it the correct way.

just a simple head rack with 2 small leds for reverse and one 32" for front.
think of the relay as an electrical switch. one side is high current, the other is low current. the high current goes directly from the battery, through an appropriate fuse, to your light bar positive (the light bar negative goes to any ground nearby)
the low current goes to a wire which has the functionality you want; do you want this wire to be on during ignition, during headlight use, etc. Most people wire this low current side to a wire that is hot whenever the ignition is on and add a dedicated, physical switch to turn the lights on to this connection. I wired mine to an always - on source so I could turn my auxiliary lights on whenever I needed.

so, whenever there is current running through the low side, the relay will internally switch on the high current side. the main reason to do this is so you are not running high current wires inside of the cab and you can make the high current connection as short as possible.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk