Wiring light bar to Cargo Lamp Button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAccountant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 and am installing a 42" light bar in my front bumper in a couple weeks. I am thinking about trying to wire the light bar to the cargo lamp button (circled in picture) since I do not think I need the cargo lamp. Has anyone ever done this and if so was it difficult? I figured if I am able to do this then I won't have to put any ugly buttons on my dashboard to control the light bar.

Attachments

• 20170628_171725.jpg
    20170628_171725.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 90

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have a 2015 Ram 1500 and am installing a 42" light bar in my front bumper in a couple weeks. I am thinking about trying to wire the light bar to the cargo lamp button (circled in picture) since I do not think I need the cargo lamp. Has anyone ever done this and if so was it difficult? I figured if I am able to do this then I won't have to put any ugly buttons on my dashboard to control the light bar.

I love this idea.

Wouldn't there be a fuse that you could use one of them add a fuse things to create an out without having to splice any factory . This signal could then trigger your relay to draw power straight from the battery. This would also allow you to run the bar with or without the key in but still have that accessory alarm. It will also light up every time you unlock the truck along with the approach lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love this idea.

Wouldn't there be a fuse that you could use one of them add a fuse things to create an out without having to splice any factory . This signal could then trigger your relay to draw power straight from the battery. This would also allow you to run the bar with or without the key in but still have that accessory alarm. It will also light up every time you unlock the truck along with the approach lights.

good thought but the switch is usually a fused input so the output of the switch isnt fused. or the switch is a low current and trips a relay

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Does your truck have the bed lights (not sure if they installed the switch with a truck with out bed lights?) You'd probably need to use the factory wiring to trigger a relay which will likely trigger the relay any time the "factory" setting is on such as when unlocking the truck as Whiteannerdy said. Do you have the homelink buttons in the upper console? If so you may want to check out this post where I used a 433mhz RF receiver to trigger my relay for the lightbar so I could use the homelink button to turn it on and off. Totally stock look from in the cab.

Whiteannerdy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does your truck have the bed lights (not sure if they installed the switch with a truck with out bed lights?) You'd probably need to use the factory wiring to trigger a relay which will likely trigger the relay any time the "factory" setting is on such as when unlocking the truck as Whiteannerdy said. Do you have the homelink buttons in the upper console? If so you may want to check out this post where I used a 433mhz RF receiver to trigger my relay for the lightbar so I could use the homelink button to turn it on and off. Totally stock look from in the cab.

Also a great idea. No splicing inside the cab and by using a power source that requires the key. Shouldn't have an issue with leaving lights on and killing your battery. Although you won't have a light on indicator like using the button for box lights.

334a2cfc7d874d614b93203dc7816dd6.jpg

Your link though shows ones not shipped to Canada. Anything specific to look for? I'm not using my home link buttons but only plan use for 1 in the future. I found these on amazon.ca. I'm looking for one that will switch on/off with a single button and also one that will only supply power/signal while it's held down(for an auxiliary train horn)

INSMA DC 12V 4CH Channel 433Mhz Wireless Remote Control Switch With 2 Transimitter RF Relay Toggle Switch https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01M69RH4E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9I7yzb3P46SQN

mdifilippo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
433Mhz is the right frequency, I had bought one that for some reason I couldn't get to program with the homelink, unfortunately it was trial and error but the ones I linked were my second purchase and worked flawless. As far as your operation, push on / push off with 1 button would be toggle mode and then the push and hold / let go would be momentary mode. Most receivers seem to offer both options.

Urch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can someone explain why we need to ad relays when we add lights to vehicles. I'm familiar with 120 volt wiring but trucks make me think.

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can someone explain why we need to ad relays when we add lights to vehicles. I'm familiar with 120 volt wiring but trucks make me think.
A lot of the lights draw more current than the switches can handle so you would use a low voltage or even switch to ground to trigger a relay that would have the correct gauge of wire for the amps being drawn. Most pull power directly from the battery for the load on the relay.

Urch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it a matter of keeping the switch smaller in size and smaller wire where it can be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990