Pioneer Avic 5100 with Kicker Hideaway

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wesley08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Alright guys I'm new to the audio world. I recently installed the avic 5100 with little to no issues. I installed it with the Metra xsvi-6502 nav harness. Everything radio wise seems to work fine. I also purchased kicker hideaway because it's small enough to fit under my seat. I spliced the speaker wires directly into an rca plug, but once hooked up to my head unit the packaged amp/sub doesn't work. I've got a blue light on the amp, so I know I'm getting power. I'm just not sure where to go from here. Anyone have any suggestions? I have a 2008 2 door ram with the standard audio if that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You can't just splice the RCAs into a speaker wire, the RCA's are a much lower voltage output than a standard speaker connection.

OP
OP
W

Wesley08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So do I need some sort of a converter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bullitt5339

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, the Pioneer should have low level RCA outputs built into it. You should just need long enough RCA cables to reach from the headunit to the amplifier.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Beat me to it. Everything Bullitt said is correct. Just pull your radio out and plug your sub rca's into the radio. Like he said you can't just splice rca's onto speaker wire, they make line output converters to do this, but there's no reason to use one when you have a radio with sub outputs built in. This way you will actually have independent subwoofer control from the radio.

Make sure you plug into the "Sub" outputs. There will be 3 sets of rca outputs back there. One for front, one for rear, and one for a subwoofer. They are labeled.

Last edited: