Strange Radio problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yatzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 3500 SRW 6 spd
Engine
ISB305
Hi guys, 1st post - just got my truck a couple weeks ago

Bought the truck with a dead radio. The seller told me that he thought the radio was blown because it stopped working after he'd tried a programmer. When I it to my diesel guy to get the injectors done, he had to repair the OBD plug as it was broken and he wasn't able to communicate to the PCM. He was able to partially repair it - enough to erase the faults after doing the injector job. He had to order a couple pins - I have to go back at some point.

I bought 2 radio adapter harnesses - 1 for the truck side, 1 for the pioneer head unit that I was installing. Did the connections, tested it with a multi-meter, and this morning, installed the radio into the truck. Unfortunately, nothing worked (exactly like the factory head unit)

Checked power (ok from the ignition switch, but not on the 2 pink wires - got .178v), checked grounds (strange readings on these) and basically got nowhere.

I also tested the 12v outlet beside the radio and it was also putting out .178v. Tested the lower 1 and it gave 12v, so I ran the 12v to the back of the aftermarket radio and I still have nothing. I have also checked fuse 51 - it's ok.

My only other clue is strange ignition switch behavior - I sometimes have no interior lights, sometimes the remote doesn't work - seems that there is no power, but this is intermittent.

Where I am going wrong? In my VW and MB world, I would have solved this already!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What did you need to buy two harnesses for? Was the one for your pioneer missing or was your factory one hacked off? Either way pink isn't a standard color for aftermarket radios. For the radio to turn on all it needs is 12v on the red and yellow wires and a good ground. Red is ignition power. This is what triggers the radio to come on. Yellow is constant 12v.

Also check all of your fuses. Every single one of em.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Y

yatzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 3500 SRW 6 spd
Engine
ISB305
I had to buy a harness for the radio side also as it's not the 1st vehicle that the radio has been in. Neither side had been hacked - everything looked clean on the factory side.

There are 2 pink wires that are in the factory harness - Chilton says they come from the Instrument cluster, while the good ole net says that they're from the IPM.

Does the aftermarket radio require both wires to have power? Where do I get the 2nd round of power as the factory side doesn't have 12v twice right now

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The harness you bought for the truck side should plug into the factory radio harness and color code everything to match your pioneer. If your truck is an 03, you will have 12v constant and 12v ignition in there. They will be the red and yellow wires on the new harnesses. The red wire will only show power when the key is on.

This is the harness you should have for the truck side:
Metra Part # 70-6502 | Chrysler wire harness | Metra Online

OP
OP
Y

yatzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 3500 SRW 6 spd
Engine
ISB305
yup, that's the exact harness I bought.

I spent another couple hours on it last night - I'm supposed to have 12v to both of the pink wires on the factory side, but don't. I checked the power at fuse 51 and I DO have 12v there, so there is an issue between fuse 51 and the radio.

Any ideas?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What color wires do they correspond to on the new harness you bought? Red or yellow?

OP
OP
Y

yatzee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 3500 SRW 6 spd
Engine
ISB305
I've been fiddling with this issue - it's more wide spread than I thought. Ignoring the aftermarket harnesses (they're not the issue), I'm supposed to have 12v at both of the pink wires.

Also, my blower has stopped working (no power at resistor or motor), and the upper cig lighter is also not working (lower is fine)

My only other clue is that my dash lights are almost all burnt. I've got replacement bulbs to install but I wonder if it's related?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007