Check Engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Herm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check engine light just came on, dealership said they where to busy to take my truck in. Had the autoparts guy run a diagnostic check and got this code.

Attachments

• 20170622_114210.jpg
    20170622_114210.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 70

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I would start by checking the coil.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A code P2048 will be stored when the engine control module (ECM) finds a fault or malfunction in the reductant injector air pressure sensor circuit.

In order to reduce noxious gases expelled from the diesel particulate filter (DPF) in a diesel engine or catalytic converter in a gasoline engine, the reductant injector is used. The bank of the engine that contains the number one cylinder is bank 1, and unit 1 is the pre-diesel particulate filter or upstream catalytic converter sensor.

Most often used on a diesel vehicle, reductant injection systems can be found on all types of vehicle exhaust systems. They utilize water, a chemical agent, or a combination of all three items in order to reduce exhaust emissions through reducing temperature and/or pressure in the DPF or catalytic converter. If a vehicle’s ECM notes an exhaust temperature, pressure, and/or noxious gas concentration higher than allowed preset parameters, the reductant injector will be activated and the reductant compound is sprayed into the DPF or catalytic converter.

Several problems may cause a P2048 code including:

- Damaged, corroded, loose, or defective electrical wiring and related terminals and connectors

- Damaged or defective exhaust gas temperature sensor

- Short to ground in exhaust gas temperature sensor

- Exhaust leak upstream from exhaust gas temperature sensor

Another possible cause is a momentary high EGT reading.

What can you do to determine the cause?

-Visually inspect all wiring and related electrical components for signs of wear, corrosion, or damage
-Visually inspect the exhaust system for signs of leaks
-Visually inspect the exhaust gas temperature/pressure sensors and circuitry
-Disconnect exhaust gas temperature sensor connector and sensor
-Check resistance of exhaust gas temperature/pressure sensor, which should read around 150 ohms
-Perform a continuity test on sensor wire

One other thing that I'd try is to have the dealer clear the code and run the truck. If it doesn't come back I suspect it was the momentary high EGT reading that tripped the sensor into an alarm.

Either way, you'll need to make an appointment to have the truck inspected by the dealer.