air fuel gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
can anyone that has done this , explain how to hook this up ? I dont have the gauge yet but want a heads up on the install . should be installing the AF and trans gauges this weekend .

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
im pretty sure you have to weld into the o2 ****. but im not sure. what a/f gauge did u get dave?

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
well as soon as AF hemi gets me a pay-pal address im going to pick up his dual pod and i am going to put in a trans gauge and a air-fuel gauge . those i havent picked out yet . but im planing on 100 bucks or so a pop .

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The AFR stuff will be more than $100, plan on $250+, unless you find a very good deal used.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
i dont care about cost , i want to see how hard the install is and whats involved

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
THESE are the instructions that I am going to be using when I get mine and do the install. It does not look too bad, very basic wiring and a little welding.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
the one i found wired into a o2 sensor ? no **** to weld or sensor to mount ?

just wire in to the factory o2

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
the one i found wired into a o2 sensor ? no **** to weld or sensor to mount ?

just wire in to the factory o2

Is it a wideband or narrow band AFR? I have only seen narrow bands that do that. Narrow bands only read ARF of 14 to 15, via 0.1 to 1.1 Volts.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
A AFR gauge is to measure the stoichiometric ratio of air to fuel. The theoretically optimal air fuel ratio is 14.7 pounds of air for every pound of fuel. At this ratio, theoretically, all available oxygen in the air combines with all available fuel.

A narrow band will only measure a narrow band or range of this ratio, typically 14 to 15 and only use approximately a 0-1 Volt signal, so you do not have that much range.

A wide band has a wider band or range. Typically it will measure stoichiometric ratios from around 7.5 to 22.5, thus wider band. They get this added range from a 0 to 5 volt signal, that is why they need a different O2 sensor and you need to add the extra ****.

For tuning cams and such, most tuners prefer and sometimes need the added range of the wideband to make the correct changes and to see what is going on with your tune to get you running optimally.

I hope this helps and makes sense.

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
If you are planning on doing some tuning or actually monitoring AFR with any accuracy you will need a wideband and a wideband O2 sensor. If money is not that much of an issue you might as well just spend that little bit more and do the job right.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
well just to fill a pod spot it will do i guess . it says lean or rich . kinda looked cool . like i said i just wanted my trans temp gauge but found AFhemi selling his double pod i needed to find 1 more thing to put in it thought that would work as a filler .

anything better to fill in its place as far as gauges ?

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
here is my options , the trans one im getting but need one more to fill the pod ...

what would be a good one .i dont need a wideband

White 7 Color Gauge Series

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
Rear diff temp? I dunno I have seen some guys run those who tow lots. I have also seen little plugs for the pillar pods that you can mount GPS units from or cell phone holders or little monitors for a backup camera. I dunno lots of options. Engine oil temp would be a good one too.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You could always get one of the AeroForce Interceptor gauges. They pretty much do everything.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Rear diff temp? I dunno I have seen some guys run those who tow lots. I have also seen little plugs for the pillar pods that you can mount GPS units from or cell phone holders or little monitors for a backup camera. I dunno lots of options. Engine oil temp would be a good one too.

i have oil tem guage in the dash already .lol

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
ahh thats right duh ... oil pressure is what im thinking in the dash .

so what does a oil temp do that the preasure doesent ..

i tow . need to find out one besides the trans gauge that will come to be useful

Hemiguy0302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.2 Boss
Oil temp will tell you how hot the oil is getting. Some guys I know use it as a factor to determine how the set their oil change intervals. In the summer if the engine oil temp is getting up there when they are doing some pulling they know that when they get home they are gonna want to change the oil sooner then they normally would. I dunno look at a summit catalog at all the gauges and see what they have to offer,