Need to replace lower ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I was looking around under my truck yesterday, just inspecting things and thinking of all the stuff i want to do some day. So I look over at the upper ball joint on the drivers side and the boot still looks good on it and all. I look down at the lower ball joint on that side and the boot has a nice big rip in it. :fca5278d: FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!

I looked over at the passenger side and the upper ball joint is fine there and the lower one has a small tear in it. So it looks like I'm going to spend some money on ball joints instead of something fun.

Questions I have:

• Is this something I can do in my driveway?
  • Do I need anything special other than a ball joint press?
  • Is there anything else I should go ahead and replace while I have everything apart? My breaks are starting to squeal a bit so maybe I should do those while I'm at it.
  • Are Moog the best? I know I want to replace them with some that are greaseable.
  • Where should I look for them? Summit, Rock Auto, other?
  • After replacing the ball joints, do I need to get the front end re-aligned or anything?

I have some pics that I took but i can't upload them from work. I'll upload them when I get home.

powerhour

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 and 2019 Classic
Engine
5.9 CTD and 5.7 Hemi
I've done them in a drive way before and you don't NEED and ball join press, it just makes life easier and easier on your parts. No you don't need to get an alignment, I'd say check the play in the uppers and replace them of need be, since your in there