please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05ram4186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My 05 ram 1500 hemi broke down last Wednesday, it won't start up.... It won't even turn over.... It has a good strong battery and it won't give me any trouble codes.... I get an error message with the OBD2 scanner.... The fuel pump relay, computer/asd relay, and the transmission relay are clicking on and off.
Thank you in advance, Mike.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First off check your fuses, ALL fuses to make sure you dont have a bad one. Believe it or not the diagnosis connector won't function properly if a certain fuse is blown. When you turn the key to crank it does the engine turn over at all? Do the headlights work? If so do they dim or completely go dark when cranking? When you turn the key to crank the engine do you get a single click or multiple clicks?

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
Also, cam you describe what type of breakdown you had? This will aid in finding out what's going on.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Good chance it's the cam shaft position sensor. It seems to control a lot of other things. I had a 2000 jeep grand cherokee that one minute worked fine, shut it off to get gas then went to turn the key and nothing. Replaced the fuel pump, check just about every inch of wiring all the fuses. Had it towed to the dealer. They replaced the computer, nothing. Checked the cam shaft position sensor and that was the problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good chance it's the cam shaft position sensor. It seems to control a lot of other things. I had a 2000 jeep grand cherokee that one minute worked fine, shut it off to get gas then went to turn the key and nothing. Replaced the fuel pump, check just about every inch of wiring all the fuses. Had it towed to the dealer. They replaced the computer, nothing. Checked the cam shaft position sensor and that was the problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FYI... what a horrible dealer, they started with the computer????

I had my cam shaft position sensor and crank shaft position sensor just go on me a couple weeks ago. In my situation, the engine would turn over, but wouldn't start. It turned over strong, but just wouldn't start. The computer gave me a code for both these sensors. I was at my local grocery store. Eventually I was able to get it started, so I kept it running until I went home, read the codes, when to picked up the parts and got back home (these sensors will prevent a start, but usually if you are running you can keep going).

I went to advanced auto, got both, replaced them in just under an hour, and it has been fine since.

Last edited:
OP
OP

05ram4186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First off check your fuses, ALL fuses to make sure you dont have a bad one. Believe it or not the diagnosis connector won't function properly if a certain fuse is blown. When you turn the key to crank it does the engine turn over at all? Do the headlights work? If so do they dim or completely go dark when cranking? When you turn the key to crank the engine do you get a single click or multiple clicks?
Yes all of the fuses are good all lights work no dimming when trying to start radio works motor does not turn over when key is turned all gauges are down battery gauge is all the way down...says I have no fuel on fuel gauge.sometimes after you sitting for 15-20 minutes with key on all the gauges come back to normal and truck will start

OP
OP

05ram4186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Before it died all together I checked the fuel pressure and it was 60psi

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Get a helper, a hammer and something to lay on. Get someone in the truck. Lay under the truck and have said helper turn the key like they're trying to start it. While they are holding the key in the start position try gently tapping the starter. If it starts then you need a starter. If not then start checking for power at the starter with a test light.

OP
OP

05ram4186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Starter isn't the problem I can pull the starter relay out and turn the motor over with a jumper wire
Will not start with key on and using jumper wire

OP
OP

05ram4186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Motor will not start with jumper wire turning the motor over.... (Key is on)

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you done the crank and camshaft position sensors yet? They're relatively cheap and that's where I'd start. Specifically the crankshaft position sensor will definitely cause no start issues.

So just to clarify, the motor does or doesn't crank when you turn the key? If it doesn't crank with the key, it will be something other than the above. Those sensors will cause no-start issues, but not no-crank issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP

05ram4186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
It doesn't crank with key... When you turn the key to run the computer asd relay, fuel pump relay, and transmission relay are clicking

OP
OP

05ram4186

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
New ignition switch, New camshaft position sensor, new crankshaft position sensor.... Still nothing.... I talk to someone from the Dodge dealer and they suggested that it could be the totally integrated power module (fuse box)

cunningham76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
New ignition switch, New camshaft position sensor, new crankshaft position sensor.... Still nothing.... I talk to someone from the Dodge dealer and they suggested that it could be the totally integrated power module (fuse box)

I know this is an old thread, but was wondering what was the resolution here. I am having the same problem with my 03 4.7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk