1998 dodge ram 1500- advice needed please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot. Looking at buying a 1500 5.2 engine with the manual tranny. The truck has a bit over 100K miles and is a 4x4. is there anything I should be looking for in particular in purchasing this vehicle? Are there any major issues that I should look for? How have the 1998's held up and performed overall. I'm sorry to ask, but I have never owned a Ram so I really don't know a heck of a lot about them. Thanks for your input and understanding!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
One of the weak spots on that generation truck is the front track bar end links and bushings. There is an updated part available.

Also, check the top and front of the dash over carefully. If it's cracked, you may see it totally collapse on you eventually.

Good luck!

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Yeah the dash cracks, then disintegration.

Welcome to the site

OP
OP
J

JON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you! Huge help! I think I can probably get under and see if bushings and end links look fresh. Would never have thought of it, now if I cant see I can always ask! Will check out the dash too. From what I am thinking I am eliminating most of the tranny problems (and cost) on a higher mileage truck by going with an automatic?

OP
OP
J

JON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Any ideas on what a new dash costs? Does it make a difference if it has dual airbags or do the airbags stay and the dash is replaced?

OP
OP
J

JON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks again for your help. I (know) the dealer is 2500 too high based on kbb, so we will see how this goes!

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
the tranny is the weak link IMO. Dodge never could make a good one from factory, also check for oil in the intake by looking down the throttle body with a flashlight. They have a plate on the bottom of the intake that will blow the gasket and create a vacuum leak and also pull oil vapors into you comb chambers. Not a bad fix but somethin you want to keep in mind when you buy.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
the manuals are better than the automatics for reliability

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
manuals are great.

the oil in the throttle body is super common. plenum gasket leak. alot of work to fix it.

common issue I have noticed:
-cracked dash
-loose steering (gear box)
-steering clunk (bushing in linkage)
-cup holder design is weak
-heater core leak
-a/c vents change to defrost under hard acceleration of hill climb due to vacuum issue (check valve) this will effect cruise control as well
-plenum gasket leak (upgrade kit cost around $160 and requires removing the intake)
-water pump

Hotroder383

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 or 5.2 which ever you want
Hmm didnt know about water pump, I guess thats why the previous owner smeared silicon all over the damn thing LOL

OP
OP
J

JON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks all for the advice! The truck is a laramie slt with 122K on it. interior in good shape long bed with a shell and bedliner. looking closer tonight it has the paint issues ( no clearcoat on the roof and clearcoat peeling on the shell). Hood is sort of that gray color as the paint goes....but I can fix that for awhile. Clutch was very heavy (which means to me needs replaced, unless they are always heavy), front end wanders so it needs the repairs you guys mentioned, plus there is some rot ( about a 3inch spot that they covered with bondo and barely sanded and painted) one one of the wheel arches. I have not had a chance to look under the hood, so i dont know about the gasket issues, but the were fine with it. They want 9900.00 for it. kbb has it at 7500. What does everyone think is a fair price, knowing that i will probably need at least 1K worth of work down the road?

cwakefld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems high to me. I paid 8k for my 03 QCSB 1500 Hemi, with right at 100k on the clock.

DMart03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V-8
Thanks all for the advice! The truck is a laramie slt with 122K on it. interior in good shape long bed with a shell and bedliner. looking closer tonight it has the paint issues ( no clearcoat on the roof and clearcoat peeling on the shell). Hood is sort of that gray color as the paint goes....but I can fix that for awhile. Clutch was very heavy (which means to me needs replaced, unless they are always heavy), front end wanders so it needs the repairs you guys mentioned, plus there is some rot ( about a 3inch spot that they covered with bondo and barely sanded and painted) one one of the wheel arches. I have not had a chance to look under the hood, so i dont know about the gasket issues, but the were fine with it. They want 9900.00 for it. kbb has it at 7500. What does everyone think is a fair price, knowing that i will probably need at least 1K worth of work down the road?

This is normal, especially when dealing with a dealership. Also depends on if you are having to finance or dealing with cash money. If your dealing with cash money....I wouldn't offer anything more than $6,000 for the truck...if you are having to finance...the dealership might budge a couple thousand down to $7,900. I just bought my 99 dodge ram 4x4 with 154K miles for $3,000 from a private seller...had a few issues but nothing too major. Good luck to you man and I can not stress this enough...check the tranny, then check it again....and then check it a third time. Don't wanna scare you away but like a few guys said above...they made em' weak for this gen.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
For that price you can get alot newer truck.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
with rust and clearcoat issues, way over priced.

$3k more you can probably get a new truck with a better note (longer = cheaper monthly payments)

you can definitely get a 3rd gen hemi quad cab with less mile for that price,

good luck

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Surf around your local craigslist...there are better trucks out there around 9900...3rd gen hemi's for sure...i will be looking at an 04 Hemi with a 7" lift, 37s and 88k miles tomorrow for 10k asking price..

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I traded a 99 jeep wrangler str8 up for my ram. I bought the jeep a year earlier for $5k. had about $500 in it.
I see 2nd gens for $3k-5k around here. even nice ones. 2nd gen cummins are going for $8k- $10k

OP
OP
J

JON

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everyone for the replies. Dealer offered to come down to 8900 plus taxes and tags, but from everything I am reading it sounds like even if they came down to 7500 out the door I would probably have more like 2K in repairs than the 1K I initially thought. I will probably pass on this truck, but I may find one that I might not pass on one in the future based on what everyone is saying. Maybe better to look at spending more for a 3rd or wait around for a later generation to come into a better price range. again thank you!

RAMMIT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
you should have 2 trucks for that price i bought my '00 with 140k and a rebuilt trans for $4000 but i pay in cash.. looking at my local craigslist i feel like i slightly over paid.