97 5.2 running like poo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
My son replaced plugs and wires today after noticing an acceleration issue above 45 mph. When he was done the truck ran like poo and popped through the intake under load at low speeds. Of course acceleration sucked, goes without saying.
I went back and verified plug gap, plug wire positions on the distributor cap, made sure the plug wires were tight and that the distributor didn't move causing the timing to be out.
It seems that the timing could be out but nothing moved. Any thoughts?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Timing is pcm controlled. If it's popping double check firing order again. Easiest way is to remove all wires and replace them 1 at a time. Also verify wires aren't crossing as they'll crosstalk and misfire. Here's the tsb on that:
TSB 18-48-98
Lastly make sure the plugs used are copper core and not iridium or platinum.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
still running like poo

Thanks for the tb. We went back and checked the routing of the plug wires and none are crossed that I can see. We even went back and checked the order with the cylinders to the cap. Its kinda tight back there. The plugs that he used were the same autolite double platinum that came out of it which seemed to run fine in the truck.
I didnt know that his check engine light had been on so he is going to check it with a scanner where he works.

Thundervee

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 05
Engine
5.9 Gas 5.7 hemi
Autolite plugs are junk.

It needs to have champion plugs in it.
The sticker under the hood will give you the correct plug number.

That's probably not causing your misfire but I would still change them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Autolite plugs are junk.

It needs to have champion plugs in it.
The sticker under the hood will give you the correct plug number.

That's probably not causing your misfire but I would still change them.

Champions are crap. Always have been. Always will be. Use NGK.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The boy went back and changed out the autolites for champions and him and a friend pulled all the plug wires back off and started from scratch. Now the truck is running fine. He must have gotten a couple of the wires mixed up on the distributor. Now I have to convince him to put a muffler back on the derned thing before he blows the engine.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Autolite champion ngk it doesn't matter. The problem is not using copper plugs and going too hot or too cold lol.

+1 to a muffler. That cackle from straight pipe is annoying as hell lol

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Autolite champion ngk it doesn't matter. The problem is not using copper plugs and going too hot or too cold lol.

+1 to a muffler. That cackle from straight pipe is annoying as hell lol

I just haven't like Champion since I was a kid. If a plug was going to foul in my 2 stroke dirt bike it was a Champion. Lol. Hated them ever since.

Thundervee

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 05
Engine
5.9 Gas 5.7 hemi
Champions are crap. Always have been. Always will be. Use NGK.

Nope. Champion is what comes in it from the factory and that's what should be in it.

Your plugs you run are ok but I still stand by autolite are junk

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Nope. Champion is what comes in it from the factory and that's what should be in it.

Your plugs you run are ok but I still stand by autolite are junk

It all goes back to my previous post on the brand subject. Yall can have whatever OPINION you want, but if you look at it from an unbiased point of view anything is perfectly fine for a stock truck long as it's the correct heat range and material. That's where the problems arise as shown in the OPs case where his son used platinum plugs in a truck that needs copper. Simple as that.

Now you start talking about increasing engine performance and go-fast parts, NGK is what is recommended for these engines by those who tune them. Anything else they will not be responsible for and it's best to follow their recommendation if you want your vehicle to run correctly

Thundervee

Reaction score
Ram Year
98, 05
Engine
5.9 Gas 5.7 hemi
It all goes back to my previous post on the brand subject. Yall can have whatever OPINION you want, but if you look at it from an unbiased point of view anything is perfectly fine for a stock truck long as it's the correct heat range and material. That's where the problems arise as shown in the OPs case where his son used platinum plugs in a truck that needs copper. Simple as that.

Now you start talking about increasing engine performance and go-fast parts, NGK is what is recommended for these engines by those who tune them. Anything else they will not be responsible for and it's best to follow their recommendation if you want your vehicle to run correctly

Yeah, I wasn't arguing your point. Your point is valid. I was saying from a factory aspect that champion is what they want in it. That's all.

Your point about platinum VS copper is spot on.