Best plugs for 5.2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318
Looking to do a tune up, what's the best for our engines I want it to run its best and be efficient

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
The plugs interchanged between the engines and I haven't seen any plugs that behave better in one engine or another.
I personally have stock Champions. NGK and Bosch are supposed to be good as well. Autolite is subjective.

Get ONLY copper core plugs, these trucks don't much like anything else.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Champions run ok in my truck but it runs rough on a cold start for about 3 minutes.

Autolites go straight to the trash, Sure I slapped a used pair in from my buddies truck to see how it ran, but they were relatively clean and only 3 months old. NGK run a bit rough for about 20 seconds after a cold start.

After it warms up NGK and Champion run the same as far as I can tell.

Never tried Bosch, but i've heard good things about them. Its also what german and swedish cars call for. So there has to be some quality to them.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Don't bother with Bosch. Their only copper plugs for our trucks are WAY too cold of a heat range. They'll build up a ton of carbon no matter how hard you drive it and foul out. Ask me how i know.

My truck ran great on the Autolites that were in it from my father's upkeep. With like 40k it ran better than with the factory Champs i put in after. Can't recall Autolite part number. I've since switched the Champs for NGK. Runs great like the Autolites

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Don't bother with Bosch. Their only copper plugs for our trucks are WAY too cold of a heat range. They'll build up a ton of carbon no matter how hard you drive it and foul out. Ask me how i know.

My truck ran great on the Autolites that were in it from my father's upkeep. With like 40k it ran better than with the factory Champs i put in after. Can't recall Autolite part number. I've since switched the Champs for NGK. Runs great like the Autolites
Mark runs Bosch. :hidesbehindsofa:

And the stock PN for Autolite is 5224

Stegs

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.2L 318 C.I.
to the OP

I ran autolite 3923 (i think was the number)

My truck has a sct tune, 180 degree stat and my truck ran great with those plugs.

I know some have said that autolites go right to the trash, well my truck ran fantastic on those cheap plugs.....I bet yours would too

Right now i have NGK plugs (my autolites burned out)

Truck runs just as good with them. At the moment i fighting 2 bad plug wires (doing all new plug wires soon)

For the price, try autolites...i think you will like them. I was thinking about going to try champions in my truck again, but i will wait until these ngk plugs go bad

On a side note, i run ngk plugs in my 69 charger. I was told (and cant verify) that the ngk plugs wont foul out like other brands, which is good in a carb'd 440.

The NGK plugs have been flawless in my charger, it runs great and they are clean yet.

I have nothing but good things to say about NGK plugs....

(i even ran them in my honda trail 70, yamaha raptor 660 and 700) All good results

Thatramdude

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
8d98f7cec86198e4ec0a1ff347950bba.jpg got some champions . hope they work well

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
i got the NGK G power plugs in both my 5.2's for about 2 years and no complaints with them so far. with how cheap they were from rockauto i figure they were at least worth trying. i would probably not waste money on them if i had to pay full retail price for them. there really don't seem like there is any noticeable difference between them and the copper core one it had in it before.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I have had my truck since 2000 and have never noticed any difference in performance or mpg with any brand spark plugs. Champion, Autolite, Bosch, NKG or AC Delco makes no difference at all.
I also use the cheapest plug I can get because I change them out once a year no matter how many miles they have on them.

Mohpar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
I change them out once a year no matter how many miles they have on them.

Just do this, autolites will suffice as long as you live in a southern/warm state. Maybe something more quality if you live in the north
Edit: saw the pile of snow on your truck. Maybe look at something else. I ran with accel copper plugs and never had any issues, but it never was below 30F this year where I live

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
My truck had Autolites when I bought it, swapped to Champions when I did a tuneup. Couldn't tell a difference.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I swapped my 45k mile autolites for factory champs and started getting occasional misfires lol. The autolites were same heat range just better overall for some reason. Some trucks get picky