Dodge 2500 rear wheel seal.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hallk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500, I noticed around the back driver side was leaking. Figured out it was the seal, after searching and buying seals from advance, O' Riley's and auto zone none fit!! I thought I had one, but after putting it on its leaking 10 times worse now then it was before I fixed it! Any advice on where to find the correct seal??

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
..............Any advice on where to find the correct seal??

Pay the premium and get the OEM ones from the dealer. You have a better chance of the dealer matching the correct ones to your VIN than some box auto parts store lousy cross referencing.

Also, if your axle shafts are rusted and pitted around where the seal rides, does not matter if you got OEM seals or not as they will prematurely wear the new seal in no time. If axle shafts are severely pitted, may be time for new ones also.

Me personally and if the mileage is high enough, I would be doing the whole shebang, axle shafts, seals and wheel bearings.

Last edited:

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
I would like to know where you bought the seal that isnt working it might be useful for others later on

Did it seat correctly and did the shaft feel snug in it? I just saw a tutorial that showed permatex blue being placed around the outside of the seal. while it shouldnt be necessary it couldnt hurt

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hallk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Umm nothing looks rusted, it only has 140,000 which to me isn't a lot it's a daily driver. I'll definitely look into the dealership. Not really worried about price, just would like it fixed correctly. And I purchased the first seal at autozone, went in for oil and things happen to mention to the gentleman I might order a part and he was like well we have that in stock, so I got it. It was so small as my fiancé put it, it looks like it'd fit my Jeep Wrangler. The second one was ordered with advance auto parts after taking them the old one them measuring and ruling out most of the ones they had. It looks very similar it's just a hair too small.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
Just sounds like you didnt get the correct size. Looks like your only choice is the dealership.... or find the part number and look online

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990