Draining Radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bcraig

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I found the petcock on the radiator ,1999 Dodge ram 1500 4wd extended cab and turned it but no Liquid comes out.

Is there a trick to this? does the plug come out completely? or just turn to the left to open it?

Joe w.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
I don't think u got to take it all the way out but you may have to I can't remember from the last time I drained mine

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Remember that most petcocks screw in to open. If it doesn't start to flow when truly open, hit it with a little air pressure.

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Sometimes sediment can clog that small valve, just take a small tube and put it on the spout coming off and blow into it or use a compressor to fire a quick burst of air into it. Make sure to take the radiator cap off first. If its not off then there will be a vacuum and it wont drain period.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
Just cracking it open won't quite let it for either. May take a couple spins sometimes

I had to play with mine the first time I drained it. Took about a minute of rotating it about to get it to flow right. I tried the small dia. rubber hose connected to a compressor nozzle on another Ram.