I need severe help please! No fuel = no start = no fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Puckett1414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Ok guys I'm new to this site and want to thank each of you for any help you may be able to provide. I'll start by saying I am not a certified mechanic but i am self taught and know my way around dodge trucks fairly well, so here are my symptoms and issue at hand.

So the truck has been sitting for a while, but its been sitting because it became a secondary vehicle and quit running one day when i went to start it. I had noticed when i was driving it that it would randomly give a low power surge occassionally while driving down the road. Here's what I mean by low power surge, no matter how fast I was going or if I had my foot on the gas or if I was coasting, It would never stall but for a brief second it would dim the lights and drop about 100-200 RPM's but only for a second then it was fine. It did this long enough for me to think it was normal behavior for my truck.

So when it wouldn't start, i narrowed it down to getting no fuel and all the fuses and relays i could find related to the fuel pump checked out and switching relays for ones i knew worked provided no solution. So i assumed the pump was bad, dropped the tank and installed a new pump, reinstalled and still nothing. So i checked voltage with the key turned on at all prongs for the ASD (Automatic Shut Down) relay and fuel pump relay and on one prong for both i get slight voltage (up to 1 volt) for less than 2 seconds and it drops to 0.000 on the multimeter. I have charged and tested the battery so unfortunately keeping it simple also did not provide a solution.

Im led to believe i should have close to 12 Volts with the key turned on at least at 1 of the prongs for each relay. Im at a loss at where to go to next, and how to test my PCM. The truck has 155, *** miles. Any help is greatly appreciated and please let me know what more information i can provide for an accurate solution in troubleshooting. I dont believe a bad crankshaft or camshaft position sensor would kill the power to the relays because i have zero volts prior to the cranking procedure. The truck does tuen over at a normal RPM and sounds normal turning over. Thanks in advance for the help and suggestions!

Last edited:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
I'm not at expert in gas engines by any means, but if these PCMs operate anything like the diesels I used to work on, a bad sensor can cause the ASD to not energize at all. There are two conditions that the ECM checks on diesels as soon as the key is turned to run, that the position sensor is not shorted to ground, or shorted high. Either condition will prevent the engine from cranking.

On the newer diesels at least, you will not fix a problem like this without a scantool to check the codes, there are just too many variables in modern control computers. In our case its the PCM. Just a word of warning, do not probe the PCM with any instrument alone unless you are properly trained to do that sort of diagnosis on electronics. I've seen too many techs take a multimeter to a control module only to fry it becuase they wanted to get a resistance value from a pin to ground.

In my opinion the only relatively safe way to probe a control module is with a scope, or by using only the voltage setting on a high input impedance meter, such as most all decent digital multimeters. Even then I would only probe if the controller was hooked up to the vehicle harness. Never try to power up a control module outside with anything but the vehicle wiring harness.

If I were you, I would try to get a scantool and check for any codes. that will give you a place to start. If it throws no codes, there is a chance that there is a bad electrical connection somewhere, however give its past behavior, I would say that is unlikely.