new to here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

possum

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got a 1994 Dodge Ram 1500 and out of curiosity I was wondering if a 2WD to 4WD would be possible. I don't know much about Dodge. I don't know if the frames were different or if things bolted up differently. I do know a different transmission would be needed and of course a transfer case and a different front end.
Any information would be appreciated.

possum

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to ramforum! I have no personal experience in trying this conversion but I wondered the same thing before I bought my ram. I did some online research and I could not find a single reference to it. I did, however, find many forum posts from people warning others seeking to do this conversion not to. Basically what it comes down to is that the time and money spent (tranny, transfer case,cross member, differential, drive shafts, entire front suspension/steering, radiator/cooler, plumbing, and a laundry list of smaller details) to turn a 2wd into a 4wd far outweighs just buying a 4wd ram. To answer your question I do believe it would be possible, just not very practical. Sorry man.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Welcome to ramforum! I have no personal experience in trying this conversion but I wondered the same thing before I bought my ram. I did some online research and I could not find a single reference to it. I did, however, find many forum posts from people warning others seeking to do this conversion not to. Basically what it comes down to is that the time and money spent (tranny, transfer case,cross member, differential, drive shafts, entire front suspension/steering, radiator/cooler, plumbing, and a laundry list of smaller details) to turn a 2wd into a 4wd far outweighs just buying a 4wd ram. To answer your question I do believe it would be possible, just not very practical. Sorry man.

^^he's right, the only easier way to do it would be to find a donor truck and swap bodies (if the one you bought is in pre good condition this would be more of a consideration), be much easier to buy/trade in for a 4wd

DublDee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram Sport CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Welcome, and good luck with the conversion. Seems to be a pretty big project to take on.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I know of one person that did this conversion over on another forum, and it was done successfully to boot. Lot's of cutting, welding and a donor truck was used.

This is not the route I would take but to each his own, body swap is a good suggestion.