Problem with interior vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TX12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L Magnum V8
Throwing this out there to see if anyone has experienced this or may now the fix. When using the heater or a/c, the cabin air vents intermittently work. They'll blow fine for 20 seconds or so, and then slowly fade out. I thought this might be a blower motor issue, but the air flow to the floor vents and those up near the windshield is uninterrupted.

Any mechanical geniuses out there able to diagnose this?

That aside, this is my first post to this forum. I just purchased a 1998 Ram (5.2 L V8) for a work truck and so far so good. It has 130K on the odometer, and the day after I bought it, I drove it from TX to AL and back with no issues. Zero oil consumption. So far I'm impressed :happy107:

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
This is a common issue with the old vacuum lines. Usually the ones in the dash are just fine, its the ones in the engine bay, little thin ones coming from the passenger side of the intake that you need to inspect.

If that all looks fine, rev the engine real quick when the vents are acting up and see if that fixes it temporarily. If it does, shut the truck off and wait a minute, then move the selector switch around, you should hear hissing air. If not, the first thing i'd check is the one way check valve on the vacuum lines in the engine bay.

OP
OP
T

TX12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 L Magnum V8
Thanks for the reply. I'll start to go over the vacuum system and see what I can find.