2500 front spring lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blindchoctaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Tried searching this and couldn't find anything.
I think that I've read somewhere that on the second gen 1500's you can get 2500 front coil springs and it will lift the front end up 3 inches and then you just put blocks or add a leafs in the rear and new shocks all the way around. Is this true? Will the spring just bolt up to the existing mounts on the 1500 or do I need to get other things from the donor 2500?

Thanks

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The springs should go right in. Your gonna need shocks for sure. That should be it. Never thought of this

OP
OP
blindchoctaw

blindchoctaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.9
Thanks man.
One more question that I forgot to ask, does it matter what year truck the springs come out of or do I need to them from the same year truck?

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think it just would have to be a 2nd gen. Let me know if it works out like you planned. Sounds like a pretty cheap lift that way

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
You'll really need the front springs from a cummins equipped Ram to get the desired 3 inches of lift.

There are a couple down sides to this mod. First, Cummins springs are very stiff. They were designed for holding up a front end with a much heavier engine. Combine this with the increased angles of your control arms and the ride becomes bone jarring. Sure it's a truck..but now it's a tank. Handling on rough surfaces becomes a bit skittish.

The second part is that you will also uncenter your axle in you wheel well about an inch and also uncenter your axle between the frame the same amount. Again this is due to the triangulation of the links and track bar.You can reset the toe and caster, but you will increase bumpsteer. The tire clearence you think you'll get may not be there. BTW, you'll max your caster adjustment on your factory arms. There was an earlier post about "Death wobble" in this section. Improperly done lifts increase wear on important components, and when combined with poor ride and handling can be deadly.

I'd rather see you put an AAL in the back than stack blocks. I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but stacking blocks...is stupid. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Last edited:

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No you're right know. Stacking blocks is stupid. But couldn't you also swap in control arms from the Cummins and have everything centered correctly?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
You'll really need the front springs from a cummins equipped Ram to get the desired 3 inches of lift.

There are a couple down sides to this mod. First, Cummins springs are very stiff. They were designed for holding up a front end with a much heavier engine. Combine this with the increased angles of your control arms and the ride becomes bone jarring. Sure it's a truck..but now it's a tank. Handling on rough surfaces becomes a bit skittish.

The second part is that you will also uncenter your axle in you wheel well about an inch and also uncenter your axle between the frame the same amount. Again this is due to the triangulation of the links and track bar.You can reset the toe and caster, but you will increase bumpsteer. The tire clearence you think you'll get may not be there. BTW, you'll max your caster adjustment on your factory arms. There was an earlier post about "Death wobble" in this section. Improperly done lifts increase wear on important components, and when combined with poor ride and handling can be deadly.

I'd rather see you put an AAL in the back than stack blocks. I'm sure I'll be flamed for this, but stacking blocks...is stupid. :birgits_tiredcoffee

This ^

Just get a lift for your truck . Be easier and safer IMO

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
No you're right know. Stacking blocks is stupid. But couldn't you also swap in control arms from the Cummins and have everything centered correctly?

I've done research on swapping and Cummins arms are not significantly longer. The frames on larger GVW trucks are taller and component mounting points are different.

Cummins and most V-10 trucks do have neat little tabs welded to the undersides of thier contriol arms to keep them from spreading and buckling. Cummins diesels weigh over 500lbs more than a 5.9 gasser.