5 inch suspensions questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

they-call-me-opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 dodge ram 1500
Engine
5.2 v8 (318)
Doing my first suspension lift on my first truck.
I got several questions as i am new to forums.
Starting with the brand lift. Was looking into rough country 5incher, seems to be an okay kit.
My question is, what should i go with if i want crazy good ride (bump absorbant, crazy good steering response)
what kit will provide those two factors, but still be able to handle going offroad if needed? I live in a city with wicked potholes, so thats where the comftorable ride comes into play.
Also, what can i use to protect and provent my steering parts from going bad and make them responsive? Im replacing my stock gearbox with another stock gearbox as it is bad already, but want to provent further wear and tear.

Lastly, what would it take (money wise) to put in 4.56 gears in my truck to get better power at a higher stance? I have a 5.2 318 motor. Any and all oppinions will definitly not be overlooked and will be appreciated!

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
what size rubber you looking to turn
what were symptoms of faulty steering box

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If you want a GOOD kit go with BDS long arm. Rough country is not going to get you what type looking for there. Gears usually coast about 2k-ish. If you don't want anymore steering problems skip factory box and get a Borgeson

OP
OP
T

they-call-me-opie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2000 dodge ram 1500
Engine
5.2 v8 (318)
what size rubber you looking to turn
what were symptoms of faulty steering box

Constantly leaking power stearing fluid i just replaced my pump just to figure out it was leaking from the box. And looking at getting some 35s maybe 10-11 inch wide

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
You're going to want a long arm kit if you want any ride quality. Doesn't have to be BDS but they're the best quality. Check their site for avg pricing.

If you're in a 1500 series truck don't bother trying to make steering parts last. The stock 1500 front axle is a jeep axle stuffed under them and they are to weak to be under a full size 4x4. A lifted 1500 you can expect to replace steering and front end components yearly. Don't bother with another stock box its a huuuuge waste of cash. Buy yourself a good red head or borgeson steering box. Stock boxes from stores are actually just refurbs. The parts aren't changed they only put new seals in... So if you want an actual improvement get one of the 2 mentioned boxes. You can also look at the rock solid ram steering fix while you're in there to help tighten it up a bit more. Don't buy into the dual steering stabilizers either, they do absolutely nothing before the subject comes up.

Power and 318 aren't words generally used together. A set of 4.56 gears will get your rig moving quicker. I'd guess probably $3k installed but definitely worth it if you're looking at going to 35" tires.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007