"custom" lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
Has anyone ever put their own lift kit together simply because they didnt want the shocks that came with the kit? say you wanted Bilsteins instead of the rough countries?

Or is it simpler to buy the kit, and the new shocks and sell off the shocks you dont want from the kit?

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
With top gun customz you can replace Bilsteins in the lift kits. You might also check with some vendors here, they may be able to hook up a deal for ya.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
good idea lol tgz is where I got my leveling kit from.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i think that the lift on ramhunter's previous mega cab was more or less custom.

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
It is especially helpful to mix and make it custom with jeeps.

shocks can be bought separately and almost every lift kit will sell without shocks. at least jeep kits that is. just ask.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I would hook up with MPC and see what they can do on a lift
I know someone who just bought a RC lift with bilstiens from TGC for an 11 2500 so it is possible, I just dont like TGC

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
thanks guys, when I start working again this summer Ill look into it. Gotta find a shop around here that knows what they are doing and arent gonna charge me out the ass. Still in pursuit lol

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I want to lol I have been wanting to learn how to do it myself for a while I just wish there was someone who could help me haha like a guide. I prob could handle it though with some research, etc haha

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I pieced together my lift...actually my truck was lifted in stages. That's why I laugh when someone buys a front leveling spacer. Once you catch the desease there's no cure. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Looking back...it was a learning experience that I'm still learning from, and a royal PITA. A big part of it was a total lack of budget.
But I ended up with a truck that does pretty much what i want it to.

If I could offer a bit of advice, think over carefully what your true budget is and how you REALLY will drive the truck. Remember that big tires require more torque to turn and offset rims wear everything quicker.
You'll also want gears...I really wished I'd geared down first then started lifting. I'd be a lot happier with my truck.
Lastly, try to do everything at once, yes it's expensive, but sometimes you end up spending more farking with crap when you could be driving. Decide your path, and follow through.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
I pieced together my lift...actually my truck was lifted in stages. That's why I laugh when someone buys a front leveling spacer. Once you catch the desease there's no cure. :birgits_tiredcoffee

Looking back...it was a learning experience that I'm still learning from, and a royal PITA. A big part of it was a total lack of budget.
But I ended up with a truck that does pretty much what i want it to.

If I could offer a bit of advice, think over carefully what your true budget is and how you REALLY will drive the truck. Remember that big tires require more torque to turn and offset rims wear everything quicker.
You'll also want gears...I really wished I'd geared down first then started lifting. I'd be a lot happier with my truck.
Lastly, try to do everything at once, yes it's expensive, but sometimes you end up spending more farking with crap when you could be driving. Decide your path, and follow through.

yeah my plan is to prob get the lift first. I dont know yet if I wanna do a 3'' BL or a 3-4'' SL. After that plan is to up the gear ratio, then wheels and tires.

I dont want to raise it up alot, just a tad to make it look less like stock or pavement pounder.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't piece together my lift...but I went with Bilstein shocks soon after I got the Zone lift kit. Much better ride. And, they look bad ass.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
yeah that was my main reason for asking because I want bilsteins for the ride.

OP
OP
the codes

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
yeah I saw the post earlier today, unfortunately I just replaced my stockers with ranchos prob 3000-4000's miles ago so idk if I wanna buy a brand new set yet

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Group buy? Yeah I need some Bilstiens myself. Tired of the "cookie cutter" shocks!

Wheres the link for it?

Last edited:

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
It in their vendor section