New to the Ram world

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KBKunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone. I just picked up a 1996 1500 for work and a little play. Its got the 3.9 in it and obviously rear wheel drive with that being said. Anyway, i need a little suspension work and figured I'd go ahead and lift it while I'm under there. I looked into a few sites for shocks but seem to only find 4x4 shocks. Is there cross compatibility for 4x4 to RWD? I've also heard things about Dakota parts being cross compatible to the 2nd gen 1500? Is this true? Thanks guys!

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Welcome to RF. I've never heard of Dakota parts interchanging with the Rams. How big are you wanting to go?

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K

KBKunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All depends on how much I'm spending. I don't wanna really spend real big bucks to get this thing in the air. I didn't spend a whole lot to buy this truck, so i dont wanna break the bank on anything. My main concern is that I'm a shipping manager at a lumber yard and need to be able to get through some rougher terrain sometimes. I was thinking of doing a basic 2" rough country lift but if i can spend a similar amount and go bigger i'd be happy.

Side note, how is the V6 RWD off road? I've heard a few people say its all about the route you take. If you can plan ahead well, you'll make it. is this true?

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
It's a fullsize truck so it's not going to be light, but the V6 has sufficient power to get you through a lot of stuff. It's all about driving smart. I've gone places in mine in 2wd where people have gotten buried in 4wd.
I went with a leveling kit and might add a 3' body lift so that will give me about 5'' of lift up front and 4" in the rear with the right shocks

OP
OP
K

KBKunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the welcome guys! Like I said before, I'm new to the Dodge world. I used to drive a Miata as a track/daily driver, but missed getting off road and being able to take my music stuff around hah.

Anyway, heres my truck as it sits now. Little rusty, but that doesn't bother me much. At least everything is there hah.
IMG_20111004_124048.jpg
The camper cab is only there to cover my bass amp while I'm at work. Thats the last thing I need is dirt and water all over that thing.

And as this was my last toy. Fun, but obnoxiously small.
6042527054_3171b5782d_b.jpg
had a hard time clearing anything obviously hah
DSCF5379.jpg

Thanks again for the welcome guys!

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I've been thinking about adding a topper to mine but can't find any that continue flush from the roof back.

You play bass too? I've been playing for about 14 years now lol

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome, congrats on the ram purchase

OP
OP
K

KBKunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've been thinking about adding a topper to mine but can't find any that continue flush from the roof back.

You play bass too? I've been playing for about 14 years now lol

Hah yeah I love playing. I've only been playing for 5 years though haha.

And this ones a Century top and sits pretty nicely IMO. It will probably come off in summer though.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Welcome!!!

Some answers to your questions. You could go with a level and be ok going off road with small to mild obstacles. Things like hills, water, some rocks, some mud. Nuttin to extreme. But with that said most of the 2wd levels are either a spring spacer or a new hub if I recall correctly. Most of the time those small 2wd lifts are no more than spacers. A level and a body lift would do you well to add some bigger tires and gain a little lift. Hope this helps get the ball rolling.

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No matter what lift you get remember this, you can lift your truck as high as the sky but without bigger tires you won't gain any ground clearance. So when budgeting for your lift remember the cost of rubber. I think you would be fine with some 285 aggressive tires and a leveling kit. This will keep your 2 wheeler reliable, good looking and able to handle most of what you're getting into without problems.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Welcome theres alot of 2nd gen guys here to help you out. Good choice in color BTW

TheMaddog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nice truck, welcome to the Forum

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
welcome to the site.

OP
OP
K

KBKunz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So after some consideration, I'm liking the stance of a 31 or 32 and could easilly budget that into the bill in a couple weeks. Probably between bfg all terrains and toyo open country at's. For now I have a 2"leveling comming with monro gasmagnums going in this weekend. Just enough to get me started off right.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk