Stock ride height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I know there's only a couple of us on here, but can anyone give the measurements from the middle of the wheel well to the ground on a stock 4wd? I thought about ordering a 2'' level for the front of mine, but there's only an inch of difference between the front and rear...

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
Some of the kits I looked at suggest using blocks in the rear with the spacers to complete the leveling job...at least on the 2WD models...on one of them for the 4WD models with the 2 inch spacers, if I recall correctly it suggested using 1 inch blocks in the rear to be completely level...

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
If I didnt' already have a level on I would give you the measurements. I will say that in some of my pictures you can tell the front is higher but in some you can't. Most likely if you haven't done the shocks int he front they are shot. If you do have new shocks on then that is why there is only an inch of difference. I have a zone 2 1/2" Level on the front of my truck and by measurement the front is higher than the back by one inch. But it's not that noticeable. If ya have any other questions let me know I'll try to help.

OP
OP
txbass06

txbass06

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
That's pretty much what I was looking for. I've "stolen" measurements from other trucks in the parking lot at work and most are an inch lower in the front. I was gonna do a lift and wheels/tires come tax time, but it needs a little suspension work. Everything on this truck is still original...

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Yea if you are going to do all that at one time I would get a set of the billsteins that everyone raves about that are adjustable. That will make the difference in the back or you could just get a larger block. I have a 3inch block already in the rear and I don't want to go any higher than that. So I plan on getting the shocks to raise it that inch in the back.

RamSport97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't mean to butt in here, but shocks will not raise the vehicle unless they are load leveling shocks. They are just dampners, they have nothing to do with the ride height.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
This is true. The billsteins I guess would be classified a load leveling shock. They have an adjustment on them to adjust the compression so in essence adding or removing lift I guess.

RamSport97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is true. The billsteins I guess would be classified a load leveling shock. They have an adjustment on them to adjust the compression so in essence adding or removing lift I guess.

The 5100's? Interesting, I didn't know that. From my understanding you can adjust the dampening, and make it stiffer, but I didn't think it would raise the vehicle at all, unless they are a coil over type shock.

The springs are what the vehicle rides on, the shocks (should just be called dampeners) control the rebound and compression.

I know for a fact that actual load levelers, like this one for instance, will raise the vehicle an inch or two in the rear. Had a set of gabriel load levelers on mine for about 2 years, they worked very well and didn't squat at all when loaded.

19710007_mon_58591_pri_larg.jpg

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hmmmmm that is interesting. I may be wrong then. I'd have to look into it more.