Headache Racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
So customization season is right around the corner! Im thinkin one of my goals this summer is going to be to build a custom headache rack for my truck, and maybe a prerunner bar for the front bumper to and throw 3 or 4 KC's on it. But the headache rack is my main interest. Ive been checkin out pics on google and i think im gonna do the rack with the cutout in the middle for the slidin rear window, and have louver horizontally on the sides and a set of white LED's as back-up/bed light and a set of red LED's as running/brake lights. Heres what im thinkin.. But if anyone has ideas/pics/plans/measurements/materials used for their headache rack, share em please!

http://www.propickupmag.com/files/2012/03/racksUntitled-1.jpg
http://www.tumbleweed-mfg.com/images/headache/headache_4.jpg
http://www.truckaccessoriesdirect.com/images/headache-rack.gif
http://www.tumbleweed-mfg.com/images/headache/headache_1.jpg

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I had planned on making one last summer and never got to it
2x4x.120" steel tubing seemed pretty typical

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ended up with a Westin HDX rack. I thought about building my own, but for the price of steel, I think I probably broke even (or even came out ahead) with the deal I found online. I built one on my first truck that turned out really well, but it was basically free because somebody gave me the steel.

Very happy with the HDX rack, very stout and a lot of steel for the money.

Westin Automotive - HDX Headache Rack - NEW!

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree that 2x4 steel is pretty common for the uprights.
After being around my buddy who has built quite a few, may I make the following suggestions:

Use C-channel to cover the entire length of the bed rails. The size of channel depends on the truck, 2nd Gens have a relatively narrow 'cap' compared to say a 4th Gen.

Make your uprights out of something BEEFY. He went with 5x3 tubing on his 3rd Gen Cummins, and while it sounds totally excessive, it looked GREAT!

Louvers are great, but the visibility really sucks through them (IMO). I'd use grate of some sort personally.

Oh yea... Add lots of lights, then a few more. Lets face it, lights are cool!
Be sure to post pictures as the build happens!

OP
OP
K

ktm1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L 318ci Magnum
Ryan66, idk that id want to spend that much on a rack though lol but i do agree, that looks badass !

Dogcar3, I actually really like the looks of that one, Ill have to search around and get an idea on pricing and whatnot...although it would be fun to build my own so maybe ill just use that one for a template/ideas. Well see though lol

WhiteExpress, Thanks for the suggestions ! I think if I do decide to build one, ill run steel over the bed rails as protection and make it all one piece with the rack. And of course Im gonna put lights on it haha lights are great! Oh, and I like the look of the louvers..but I have thought about using expanded metal instead. But then again, I never really look out my back window anyway, I usually always use my side mirrors.. And ill be sure to take pics as it is built too

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
This is what my dad has on his ferd
Dadscamera005_zps44fc88b7.jpg
Dadscamera006_zps1fe60b60.jpg

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's my buddies.
Resampled95IMG952011032595133647_zps2f162416.jpg

Resampled952011-09-209516-47-4495453_zpsca2020e7.jpg

He's got a flat bed on it now so it took a while to dig up the pictures.