1998 2500 RAM Seat Belts will not extend

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

i65462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
HELP!!! Upon starting vehicle after approx. 1 month rest engine sputtered after starting and seat belt warning light in dash lit. Now seat belts will not extend. Any advice will be much appreciated.

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
Something may have caught, a sensor went bad that holds the "brake" on the belt, it's the thing that when you slam on the brakes the seatbelts stay tight.

Wrenchagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
12v diesel
Did you get this figured out?
I found on my 98 2500 that there is a switch( like an inertia switch) in a box under my console seat. I had the seats out and while putting them back in my seat belts locked up. I found that switch when moved from a specific angle will lock the belts. I replaced it properly and had no probs. This job was a result of an OID short which lead though the seat belt lock turned out to be the main plug for the wiring of my power seats having over heated and shorted. Some times it's hard to track down gremlins but usually they are related to other things, you just have to think and trace. Good luck

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
^^^^^
that's good info...thanks for posting

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Did you get this figured out?
I found on my 98 2500 that there is a switch( like an inertia switch) in a box under my console seat. I had the seats out and while putting them back in my seat belts locked up. I found that switch when moved from a specific angle will lock the belts. I replaced it properly and had no probs. This job was a result of an OID short which lead though the seat belt lock turned out to be the main plug for the wiring of my power seats having over heated and shorted. Some times it's hard to track down gremlins but usually they are related to other things, you just have to think and trace. Good luck

Was just thinking about this. That box is the rollover sensor. Prevents the truck from starting if it's at a real bad angle or shiny side down. Forgot all about that little guy. Good info. Thanks for the share.